DjangoBooks.com

My very odd David Hodson Guitar

David Hodson Guitar
I am the owner of a pretty unique David Hodson guitar. I purchased it on ebay about 2006.
As many will know David passed away in 2007 and I was just inconversation about this guitar with him just before he passed becuase the guitar is a bit odd and at the time in need of some TLC so I was going to send it to him to set-up. Sadly he passed before I could learn about it.
The guitar is labelled inside as a 503SR with serial number marked as 103

Its very unusual (ITHNK ....) beacuase of the wood ...I have no idea but its very pale and has a pretty striped figuring and most interestingly the BOUCHE is tiny and I mean tiny barely wider then the width of the string course.

I know for a fact the Hnk Marvin was a big fan and even wrote a tune dedicated to David. I also heard that Fapy played one too though I have less knowledge of that.

I need to sell the guitar. It has sat unplayed for 10 years as my own guitar plying moved away from the gypsy style years ago

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    edited August 2017 Posts: 921
    Do you have any pics and how much are you asking for it ?
    Just a note. most petite bouche guitars have a soundhole which is barely wider than than the width if the strings so it's not that unusual. From what I remember the SR models were a bit like Davids basic range and it sounds like it's a maple or similar wood.
    Matteo
    always learning
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017 Posts: 274
    I bought the Hodson guitar Fapy had and played on the De Piottos album. The label said the same, 503 SR, Santos Rosewood being the SR part of it. Pretty much looks like Indian rosewood. Great guitar.This one had some inlay around the binding and was definitely not a basic range instrument. Of course, maybe he only had one label and used it whenever he needed one...

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    You could be right Nick, I dont know where I got that from.
    always learning
  • plexi69plexi69 New
    I too would like to see what it looks like just out of curiosity. Thanks.
  • mrnevvynmrnevvyn New
    Thanks for this chaps... I will pop some pictures up when I work out how to do it !!!
  • mrnevvynmrnevvyn New
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6
    the petite bouche
    Would love to see some more pics. From the one you've posted it doesn't look like rosewood on the sides and I guess the back as well.
    always learning
  • mrnevvynmrnevvyn New
    some more pictures of my 503SR Hodson seriel number 103
    Buco
    Lovely looking guitar. I'm not sure what that wood is ? If it's a rosewood then it is quite unusual.
    always learning
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    edited August 2017 Posts: 795
    I had one of these a long time ago and talked to Mr. Hodson about it. The SR in the model name is indeed for Santos Rosewood as OP says and it looks like Santos to me. Aka Pau Ferro. Tropical South and Central American. Per the Wood Database: "not technically in the Dalbergia genus, it’s in a closely-related genus (Machaerium), and contains the same sensitizing compounds found in rosewoods—about as close to a true rosewood as a wood can get without actually being a Dalbergia species." Nasty stuff to work, makes me sick like I have the flu. Once in the guitar its fine.