DjangoBooks.com

Jimmy Rosenberg pick

Comments

• NejcNejc Slovenia✭✭ Altamira M01
    Yeah, the "normal" 1mm picks you can get at a guitar shop wont go well with the RS technique because they are meant to be played the common way. But there are alot of custom guitar picks which are 1mm thick and they wont bend.
    Zouny1
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    I'm using the 1.5 gator that I drilled some holes into. I use the fat end of the pick.
    Zouny1
  • Zouny1Zouny1 Sydney Australia New
    Hey Richter, that's what I'm using, with the drilled holes as well! A friend of mine left his here one day with the same drill pattern that he uses for electric and I picked it up and had a 'wow' moment! I don't know if you feel this but I actually think drilling the wholes gives the pick a something extra than nom drilled.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I drilled them at first to keep the pick from rotating, I could do without them now, but I'll probably keep modifying them as I'm used to it now. Cheers.
    Zouny1
  • JojoJojo London UK
    I've found that anything rounded is a nightmare for me; when I got something more pointed my playing improved considerably. Really odd that, with this style of music, the pick turns out to be absolutely crucial! I concur that thin picks, less than 3mm are a bit of a nightmare for me.

I have a Wegen but that's too rounded. Has anybody tried filing it down so it more 'pointy'? I love the grip on it but it really just slides around on the strings
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    Well even Jimmy runs in to trouble when using the wrong pick.
    Look at this video b/w min. 0:58-1:15
    Zouny1
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited April 2017 Posts: 462
    Yeah that must have been Jimmy's main guitar too....

stuart wrote: »

Most of the top players I've met are very particular about their pick. One not only strictly uses Gators, they have to be particular gators he has worn in. I seem to recall @Hemert telling a funny story about Stochelo panicking before a gig because he had lost his Big City pick. Even Django was careful about his picks according to Les Paul. In my experience, the pick is more important to the player than to the listener.

There are no atheists in a foxhole.......

I never buy a new pair of trainers the day of a race. But in training shoes are just about the least important consideration for me.

The correct rabbit's foot is way more important.

D.
    t-bird
  • t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade
    NylonDave wrote: »
    I never buy a new pair of trainers the day of a race. But in training shoes are just about the least important consideration for me.

The correct rabbit's foot is way more important.

D.

Man. @NylonDave you are pretty out there sometimes. Often, you absolutely hit the mark. Well done.
  • Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
    I think he uses dunlops, I for myself have been using Bone, well a really worn out rounded Bone pick a friend made me.

If i don't have it I don't feel much comfortable but I can get away with it by mechanizing some licks and arpeggios at slow tempos with any pick.
    But my favorite​ is this one :)
  • pdgpdg ✭✭
    I keep several picks ready -- all Big City picks, but different degrees of wear, some 1.8s and some 2.2s. In any situation, I try a few and choose the one that feels and sounds best. As the action on my guitar rises and falls with the weather, and the strings age from new to old, and I'm playing either acoustically or in different amplified settings, it seems that my choice of pick varies, too.
    Zouny1