DjangoBooks.com

Best Wood Supplier

Orient-BlueOrient-Blue Manchester Gitane DG-255, Ovation Balladeer
in Welcome Posts: 21
Hi,

I was wondering if you might be able to point me in the right direction as to a reputable supplier of tone woods for Selmer-style guitars?

Kind regards,

Karl

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    If you are going to build just one or so, LMII (Luthier Mercantile International Inc.) Allied Lutherie are good places to start and to a slightly lesser extent, so is Stewart MacDonald (StewMac). I use all three, plus others. LMII is probably the best for a first shot. There are many other suppliers.

Most every spruce I can think of has been used for Selmer tops. Western Red Cedar too. So take your pick. Hard to go wrong with Sitka for a first go. LMII will thickness sand to your spec which can help if you don't have appropriate tools.

Backs and sides are usually laminated in Selmer-style. Veneers for laminating can be had from a variety of source, none of which are guitar centric. I use Certainly Wood in NY state and Veneer Supplies in Maryland.

Course you can use solid for backs and sides, the companies above and again main others can help. Mahogany and walnut make good b/s for these guitars.

Black walnut and its cousin Butternut make good necks and usually available locally. Mahogany is excellent but can harder to find and becoming endangered. You can get neck wood from the companies above, but pricey. LMII has an excellent selection of neck and fingerboard woods.
    Michael Bauer
  • Google guitar wood Vancouver island. I bought some lovely stuff from then 12 years ago. Just cant remember the name
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Also, RC Tonewoods in NY. Again, there are others.
  • Hah Memory finally worked Timbre Tonewood in Nanoose Bay BC
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • psychebillypsychebilly Kentucky, USA
    I am having a Sel-Mac guitar built by an awesome local luthier...I used Veneer Supplies for flamed Euro walnut in the walnut/poplar/mahogany laminate for my back & sides...

Orient-Blue
    Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.