DjangoBooks.com

Playing Outdoors, Rechargeable Power Source

ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Welcome Posts: 872
Anyone use their normal amp with a small rechargeable power source for outdoor playing. I know there is an AER amp that is rechargeable but wondering if there is something with clean enough power that is portable that one can use with your normal amp.

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 3,319
    Hey Craig, I have that portable PA that you can plug right into if you want to try that. It is pretty big though since it has a speaker and the whole works. Pretty clean sound. It has an internal battery which you would want to try out to see how much life it has left but I think the replacement batteries (or a second battery) are pretty cheap like $30 or something.

Also, I know a guy who has some sort of battery power system that he markets down in LA but I think it is geared toward big events but maybe it is modular and can be scaled down.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    I was talking with a client, a guitarist I work for and he asked if I repaired amps. I said, "no , why do you ask?" He went on to tell me about this little battery powered amp the Fender Amp Can. I was surprised and sort of amused , this guy is a legend and he's playing through this thing.I thought it was a kind of silly thing some how. So time passes by, a year maybe and I see him and every time he's asking about this amp and having said no, like hundreds of times , I finally said yes and fixed the thing. Well long story short , after playing his I went looking for one of my own. Its loud and clean. Runs on a motorcycle battery . Holds a charge for about 4 hours at normal volume. I use it for ceremonies when its a remote location and duo rehearsals cause its easy.
    Bad news is that they are out of production.
    Good news is you can find them used for around 80 bucks. I found mine on eBay.
    If you replace the battery you'll be good to go for a long time. It ain't rocket science.
    I've used it mainly with acoustic guitars. My client mentioned he has done gigs with 2 guitars through it, it has 2 channels , its crazy but it works. He's done chamber music gigs with it . Serious things. But if you are playing a good acoustic and the sound just needs augmentation and the acoustics are good this goofy thing will get the job done .
    Scoredog