DjangoBooks.com

Longest lasting strings

Just curious as to what others experiences are with strings?? (Particularly those with ultra corrosive/excessively sweaty hands..) I literally go through 2 packs of D'addarios a week and it gets mighty pricey.. Have tried argentines, gallis and Phillippe Bosset's.. Argentines and Galli's are lucky to last the day and the Bosset's are a bit too stiff for my setup while with D'addarios I get at least a few days serious playin before they are more rust than steel..

Any other suggestions?

P.S need to be loop ends.

Cheers!!

Comments

• rob.cuellarirob.cuellari ✭✭✭✭
    I'd try maybe using some alcohol based hand sanitizer before playing, that might help dry your hands a but and prevent some of the moisture and oils from getting on the strings.
    Buco
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    I tried Galli's and have gone back to Argentines as they were terrible, every time I tried to play a certain django solo with a 4th fret g string bend it snapped,I left the note out eventually :)

Special prize for guessing the solo ;)
    Buco
  • There is some stuff you can put on strings that will slow down ghost corrosion some. 5 years ago I played with a rhythm bitch who had that same problems 2 hours on fresh strings and they were turning black. Sorry I can't recall the name of it but it did work.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Pompe_ojisanPompe_ojisan Tokyo✭✭ Rino van Hooijdonk
    John Pearse Nuages lasted the longest for me, maybe worth a try.
    I also found fastfret or similar products improves life significantly - both the strings and the player's.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    When Day is Done
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Perhaps you could try Martin Marquis Silk and Steel, Wawau Adler loved them, they won't last so long but they are cheaper so you could afford to change them more often.
    I got them once for very cheap using the Best Price Guarantee policy of some store.
    Additionally you could keep a towel handy and dry your strings every once in a while while playing
  • antnat335antnat335
    Great thanks for the suggestions everyone. I wipe em down after every playing but doesn't make much difference unfortunately. I'll try some of those brands and putting fast-fret or something similar on them as have heard this helps before but never tried it before.. At least there's plenty of string changing practise to be had!
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    "when the day is done"...............nope :)
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, brown/golden gallis are extremely frail and wear out in a matter of days, last a week tops for me. The green ones though, last for a month+ for me and I play on average two hours a day.

With Galli, I go a bit back and forth between the green pack gypsy jazz strings and the V27 folk strings. It seems a lot of the Dutch Sinti prefer the V27s. The V27s have a great tone and last a long time, almost as long as the green gallis for me.

I never liked the Argentines as they sound too tinny for me. Green Galli sounds great right out of the pack. Maybe an hour of playing and they're sounding optimal. Much shorter break-in time than other strings, and they sound good for longer before they lose sustain and start to sound buzzy/dull/lifeless.

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Ah, I didn't read carefully enough; "one 4th fret g string bend". I thought of the three large bends in the end of the solo that begins When Day is Done. I have another idea, but I need to get home and try it on my guitar first, to see that it really fits the description. Do I get a second guess? :-)