DjangoBooks.com

Workout #1: "Black and Blue Bottom"

13»

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks, Mike. We are currently on a cruise ship and Internet access is sporadic, so I'm very grateful for your assistance.

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Will, you have a tough job but someone has to do it!!!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited June 2015 Posts: 3,319
    Ok I've added a few more measures to the studies (links above). It's pretty tough to try to pick out some of the accompaniment behind the lead instrument with the balance on the recording and poor fidelity 78 played back on Youtube but I'm trying to catch the essence of it. Any input is welcome.

So far one similarity between Lang and Django re: comping style is that they both use some walking bass lines (although in Django's example I am not positive if it is Django playing bass lines or Billy Taylor playing in a high register on the bass). One difference is that Lang tends to use chromatic chord movement (i.e. A7, Ab7, A7 when there are a couple measures of the A7) but I have not run across that in Django's comping yet on this song but I've only gotten to about measure 21 of I Know That You Know so far.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Many apologies... since getting back from Europe I've been super lazy... which is sorta like normal lazy, except I've been wearing a cape...

Anyway, here are the next two instalments on the Black and Blue Bottom sound clips.

Will
    Lang tends to use chromatic chord movement (i.e. A7, Ab7, A7 when there are a couple measures of the A7)

Yes! This is one of the defining features of his rhythm style. It seems odd at first, but once you get used to it, it sounds great and I've been using it a lot lately.

I guess it probably wouldn't work so well when playing in a group with other rhythm guitarists, but it does work fine with a pianist.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."