DjangoBooks.com

Chromatic run in 'Dinah'

JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 77
Hey folks,

I'm learning Django's solo in 'Dinah', and I'd like to appeal to the collective wisdom of the forum regarding how to pick the descending chromatic triplet run in the second chorus.

Would you do a repeating DUD DUD DUD etc., or alternate DUD UDU DUD UDU... ? It seems awfully quick for the former, but then again, I'm not a very good GJ player.

Comments

• HemertHemert Prodigy
    Definitely DUD DUD DUD if it's three notes per string!
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    edited April 2015 Posts: 77
    Thanks Hemert... it's all one string, running down the high E from 15 to the nut:

14 15 14, 13 14 13, 12 13 12, etc.

I know Django was fast, but repeating downstrokes on this line seems a bit superhuman!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i think it 's alternate picking at that speed, and he does it very clean, with a heavy attack.. it's hard to imagine anyone being able to DUD DUD at that speed especially with the heavy attack he's using
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    There's a few recordings of Dinah. A youtube link to the snippet in question would be helpful
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    Sorry, I assumed this would be the classic recording (the run I'm referring to starts at ~0:52):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FoWazc0f-CU

Thanks Denis, that helps confirm my suspicion, I just wasn't sure with the heavy emphasis on downstrokes and DUD triplets in this style.
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    Sorry, I didn't listen to the recording before my previous post but I assumed that it was three notes per string. It is indeed on one string and most definitely alternate.
    Jehu