DjangoBooks.com

A Survey - survival rate of guitars in gig bags placed in an airplane's cargo hold

124»

Comments

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar
    Sorry Gene I dont know how to read or answer my private messages.
    Anyone interested, I'll have the Calton case with me at DIJ.
    What about just carrying insurance for your guitars? I have insurance through 'pro music insurance'. For not too much money a year I am covered with full replacement value on all my gigging gear and instruments with only a 100 dollar deductible. The are very adamant that this is worldwide coverage that would cover airline accidents. I have not yet (knock on wood) had to use this coverage. I was wondering if anyone has used instrument insurance. or has experience with this matter. It seems that this is the best bet. Just get your instrument appraised/insured and don't worry about it. Right? Obviously this does not protect against one of a kind, irreplaceable, or sentimental guitars.
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    I've insured the guitars I travel with for several years, and it's certainly the prudent thing to do--but I still wouldn't put any guitar in a gigbag and hand it to the baggage system, even my quite-replaceable Loar archtop or GS Mini. The point of taking the guitar along is to have it in one piece and playable at the destination, not on its way to the repairman.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited November 2020 Posts: 1,454
    What about just carrying insurance for your guitars? ... Just get your instrument appraised/insured and don't worry about it. Right? Obviously this does not protect against one of a kind, irreplaceable, or sentimental guitars.

If you consider the waiting times for a Marin, Barault, Holo ... these guitars are as good as irreplaceable. I know if mine were destroyed I would not be able to replace it; I could get another guitar of equal value, maybe - but she will sound different for sure!

With the exception of Dupont, GJ luthiers work in such low volumes that they are all one-of-a-kind in a way, they'll experiment with this little thing or that, and learn from the results to continually striving to optimise their craft.
  • rbalian4rbalian4 New

Do you ever get annoyed when you don't find a place in your room for your guitar to be placed with it's items since it takes a lot of space, especially when your room is messy and you can't place it anywhere ?

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

(November 2020: man, wouldn’t be nice to have this annoying problem back again?)

Bucobbwood_98AndyW
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."