DjangoBooks.com

Strings: Let's try something new

JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
I need to order some new strings for my guitar, and I thought it would be a good time to try something new. I've only used Argentines (like them a lot) and the D'addario's (didn't care for them).

A few months ago Michael posted the availability of the Galli strings, and a few of the varieties have sparked my interest. I have a longer scale Altamira, and want to try either the GSL10 set or the VO27. Would very much like the opinions of those that have tried out these varieties, or if you have something else to recommend.

Thank you all in advance!

Comments

• GSL 11's were a little smoother and less bright than Argie 11's on my Dunn Ultrafox
    JSanta
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    I'm all over Lenzer Fisoma lately, beautiful strings.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Craig DenneyCraig Denney Columbus, Ohio✭✭ 2011 Zwinakis
    I love Galli strings!
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    I heard Galli lasts very short time, is that true compared to Argentines?
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,707
    Not my experience...but that will likely vary with how one plays. Pressing hard, lots of bending, skin oil, sweaty hands vs dry. All those things will affect string life.

I played with a guy years ago who had acid sweaty fingers. Strings would be starting to go black at the end of a gig.

We had a twice weekly 2 hr gig outside last summer not allowed amplification. I was whacking the DuPont so hard Argies lasted a week or two and Galli's the same.
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    Well I suppose there is no harm in ordering a set of Galli's and Lenzer Fisoma's! Thank you all.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @MichaelHorowitz
    Often wondered about all these different strings to try.

I'd Love to experiment and get a Bulk String Discount everyone wants a DEAL.

I and probably others would be interested.

Say buy any 5 sets get 10% off. [-O< $-)

Something to consider
    Galli's in my case lasted as long as others.

I really never used strings that lasted significantly less than others.
    I tried: Argentines, Lenzer Fisoma, Manouche (this is the only set that lasted relatively short time because of the difference between out of box; very very bright and after they settled in ;similar sound to most others, with the exception that G string lasted the least, less then a week before the winding broke), Bosset, Galli, LaBella, Pearse, Newtone and D'addario.

LaBella and as of recently Lenzer Fisoma are my favorites and the two I'm gonna stick with for probably years to come.
    Most other strings are too bright on my guitar.

They are on the two very different sound spectrums though:
    LaBella is very warm, too dark for most people. But they have a punch, bass strings in the 10 set are thicker gauge then all the others in 11 set. High E in the 10 set feels like 11 from other sets (I settled on Gallis 10s for a while but would swap the high E for 11) and I checked the gauge, it is indeed 0.010 string. But they aren't too stiff as say Pearse or D'addario. More bark in chords then any other string I tried.

Lenzer Fisoma are on the other end fairly bright, full of wonderful overtones I've never heard on my guitar before. Middle of the road between supple and tight. Gives the sound a feeling of open air and makes the midrange sound...smokey is the only way I can describe it. They still have enough bark that I loved with LaBella.
    JazzaferriJSanta
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Thanks for the insights @Buco
    Buco
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    Because individuals use different guitars, picks, and techniques to create a sound that meets their own individual preferences, it's hard to say what strings will work best for you. However, strings do make a difference and some last longer than others. For what it's worth, my current favorite, which includes their longevity, is the Galli GSL 10s and played with a Wegen Bigcity 1.4 pick with the side edge played against the strings. I'm a rhythm player who goes for a light, percussive rhythm sound you can hear on many of Romane's recordings. These strings spring to life if played right, and Michael has them on sale.