DjangoBooks.com

Django, Baro, and Gangsters

Comments

• François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    At the Jimmy's Bar was recorded (22 Feb 1940) by Django (unlike le Wa-Di-Wa-Wa-Ou). Note that Jimmy was the name Django gave to his second son with Naguine who only lived a few weeks) but it is supposed to be in hommage to clarinetist Jimmy Noone.
    MichaelHorowitzBuco
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    We can wait for Scot while hearing Baro playing "Cher Ami" at La Lanterne :

http://www.patrus53.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/15-Cher-Ami.mp3

Here's a new image of La Roulotte when it was renewed round 1945/1950.
    François RAVEZ
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    edited October 2014 Posts: 1,261
    - circa 1938 at the Stage B (where Django fell in love with the Stage B girl) and where he found the pay for his show so ridiculous that his impresario gave him five 100 francs notes that he tear down into pieces as not Worth his talent. 124 boulevard du Montparnasse

Django at Stage B in 1934.

MichaelHorowitzBuco
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited October 2014 Posts: 768
    Nice photo!

Teddy Dupont
    Here's another one taken a few moments before or after.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Matteo wrote: »
    Here is the HCQ at Les Nuits Bleues in 1935. Django looks less than happy in this photo.

Wow, they all seem to be playing Maccaferri classical guitars!

Fantastic thread, thanks!

hmm, Joseph perhaps, but we can clearly see the tailpiece on django's guitar ..
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    Here is the HCQ at Les Nuits Bleues in 1935. Django looks less than happy in this photo.

Wow, they all seem to be playing Maccaferri classical guitars!

Fantastic thread, thanks!

hmm, Joseph perhaps, but we can clearly see the tailpiece on django's guitar ..

Yes it's only Joseph with the top mounted, classical style bridge. It could be just the photograph but the shape of Django's guitar does not look exactly right for a Maccaferri to me.

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Sorry, I had a second look now I agree with you. And the guitar to the right looks like it has the thin moustache tip instead of the square end of a classical bridge. So Joseph's guitar is the only classical Maccaferri. I was not even half right, only a third right. Terrible, just terrible!
    Teddy Dupont
    Sorry, I had a second look now I agree with you. And the guitar to the right looks like it has the thin moustache tip instead of the square end of a classical bridge. So Joseph's guitar is the only classical Maccaferri. I was not even half right, only a third right. Terrible, just terrible!

But I bet you'll be 100% right on this one.

Buco
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I agree, the guitar Django is playing in the Les Nuits Bleues in 1935 picture does not look like Maccaferri or Selmer. More the shape of Joseph Di Mauro's guitars. Any other speculations?