DjangoBooks.com

Super glue removal from guitar finish?

bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
What works to remove dried super glue from guitar top finish?

Comments

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    It depends on what the finish is.
    If its poly you can test an inconspicuous area with a q tip dipped in acetone. If the acetone does not score the finish its poly.
    Then you can use acetone to remove the glue as acetone is the correct solvent for the glue.
    If the acetone scores the finish you will need to wetland the glue down to the finish which has many more steps and is more prone to failure in some ways.
    These are "trade skills" and do not lend themselves to amateur shop heroics , so if you have no experience , bring the guitar to a professional and let them take care of it !
    :)
    pickitjohn
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Thanks Al Watsky! Lesson learned when trying to superglue tailpiece insert.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Related question... I have a guitar with a "pick guard" made of transparent adhesive plastic.

I'd like to get the top refinished, and I wonder how I could go about removing that "pick guard"?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    The usual method is to use a little naptha solvent at a corner, lift the corner and keep applying naptha as you lift. Slow and steady but usually takes less than five minutes. Test the finish with naptha first to be sure it doesn't harm it but most finishes don't seem to mind. Don't let the naptha go everywhere, a small syringe of some sort and cotton rags help keep it under control.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thank you, Craig.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."