DjangoBooks.com

Affordable Gypsy Jazz F Hole Guitars

I'm curious as to affordable options when it comes to F-Hole Gypsy guitars. I'm familiar with the Dupont, Dell Arte, and Castellucia. However those guitars run north of $3000. Can anyone point me to a more affordable option? Closer to $2000 - or less ;) Should I just bide my time and wait until a Dell Arte Swing 42 becomes available in my price range? Where would I search for one? Thoughts?

Thanks, Holmes

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @Holmes Like @stuart said, F hole Gypsy guitars are a niche within a niche so no one is mass producing them cheaply. Your best bet would be a conventional archtop.

This is a timely question as I have Godin, Eastman, and Loar brands all coming in this month. Check out the new archtop section here: http://www.djangobooks.com/Category/archtop-guitars
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    edited June 2014 Posts: 356
    I haven't heard a lot of F-hole GJ instruments, but from what I do know of their construction and sound, they're quite different from traditional Gibson-descended archtops. In fact, the Castelluccia that Michael plays on a YouTube demo video* sounds like a good regular GJ guitar and not at all like an American-style archtop.

I have an Eastman and a Loar, and to my ear they're right in the American ballpark as defined by the vintage Epiphones and Gibsons I've played. I've also tried examples of the low-cost Godin and Gretsch models, and while they might pass GJ muster if handled right (they have a thinner, more wirey sound than their pricier cousins), they're not in the center of what my ear expects for GJ.

My summary would be: If you want the Sel-Mac sound, get a Sel-Mac of whatever soundhole shape. If you want an American archtop sound, get a Gibson-descended archtop. The centerpoints of the sound envelopes of the two design formulas are quite distinct, even though either style can be made to fit into the other's "native" context. But they remain distinct and distinctive.

* On edit: Google "gypsy guitar" f-hole and select for videos to see a bunch of Michael's videos featuring F-holers by a range of builders.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 6,153
    What Russell says is true, a carved top American style archtop is still pretty different than a Gypsy F hole (which is a hybrid of sorts, and lives in both worlds equally well.)
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Alves De Puga DR 670 f hole is probably the cheapest way to go.

• HolmesHolmes ✭✭
    Lots of great info guys! Thanks so much!!
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Sweet playing frater!
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
    Holmes wrote: »
    Can anyone point me to a more affordable option? Closer to $2000 - or less ;)
    Maybe contact the guy that made my guitar, Risto Ivanovski. People that tried my guitar have mostly very positive opinions about it. In the world of made by order, hand made solid wood gypsy jazz guitars his prices are relatively a bargain, around $2000 delivered.
    I could do the asking if you're interested.

Buco
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    It's not me... although he looks a bit like Richard Widmark! :-)
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    I have no idea what you look like but have known you for 7 years on here. I ialways envisaged a teenage Samoan guy but just shows how wrong you can be..
    fraterBuco
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell