DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

rk378 LLbm Hellopackers

Downloading forum videos

pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
edited February 2006 in Welcome Posts: 233
I have seen many people ask if it is possible to download forum videos. It is possible; I will try to explain how. I will try to keep this as non technical as I can but you do need to fiddle around a bit. I will use the following post as an example:

http://djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1066

Load the page that contains the video to download in your browser, then right-click in the page and choose "View Source". If you are a Windows Explorer user, this will open Notepad with the source code of the web page displayed in it. Do "Edit->Find" in Notepad and look for the string 'mplayer' (without the quotes). The line right under the line containing mplayer should look like:
<param name="FileName" value="files/jimmy_309.wmv">

The string following value= is the actual name of the video file that was uploaded (hence, the one you want to download).

Now you simply type the following (just add whatever is contained in 'value=' above to the www.djangobooks.com/forum URL) in your browser address bar:

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/files/jimmy_309.wmv

And you should be able to save it (unless your browser is set to automatically play this type of content in an app...)

I hope this helps.

Firefox users: the procedure is basically the same except that Firefox displays the page source in one of its own windows instead of Notepad so just use Ctrl-f to bring up the Firefox search tool and you're set.

Comments