DjangoBooks.com

"Aha!" moments studying gypsy jazz

Comments

• HemertHemert Prodigy
    Scoredog wrote: »
    I found it really cool to see that Stochelo plays his ascending diminished runs as sequential 2 note sweeps using all downstrokes. Made it much easier.

could you explain this.

I know all the other ones above but find them useless once I start playing...:)

I can add another useless tip Charles.
    He means that Stochelo doesn't alternate picking on one string if there's only two notes on that string and the next note is on a higher (sounding) string.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 3,319
    Scoredog, I'm not savvy on this subject but I think he is saying that Stochelo may use all downstrokes (sweeps) on his ascending diminished arps especially on fast passages. It may in fact be faster but I'm not sure. Maybe someone who has really studied the Rosenberg Academy stuff can comment.

Edit- oops it looks like Hemert commented at the same time that I did. He would know :)
  • MaximusVolumusMaximusVolumus ✭✭ Holo
    My most recent revelation was figuring out what "relaxed" truly meant. I came from the grit-your-teeth-and-power-through-it school. After almost burning out I realized that this doesn't work, and can actually be harmful. Spending the time to build good technique is important and essential for good tone, endurance, and avoiding physical injury.
    MichaelHorowitzlostjohn
  • steteaksteteak Kern County, California Paris Swing
    When I tuned to Bb in my Jazz Ensemble class, I found the location of all Bbs, and therefore, I began my memorization of the fretboard. I found that without knowing where I am going that there is no way to get there. So, memorizing the sounds relative to location provided both sonic and physical input to store in my databank. When the time comes for linking ideas, I can throw in a sonically appropriate approach to the next chord.
  • Wise words Steteak. Definitely need to know the fretboard,

Have someone call out a note and then play that note and its 8va 8vb cousins in all the positions you can.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    the m6 and m7b5 , just like 6 and m7 chords are indeed same note chords, but dom9 is not.......
    wim wrote: »
    1. realising that m6, m7b5, dominant 9 were really the same chord

• My first aha moment was learning a Django solo with two fingers. It forced me to think outside of what I was comfortable with and started to shed light on some of the dark areas on the fretboard for me. It also helped me think a bit more horizontally.
    DeuxDoigts_Tonnerre
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Reaching for a sound in my head and discovering two or three ways to play chords and fingerings I've never used before.
    Kinda like the turtle….
    Slow and steady wins the race, but who's running… I know, those young guys that started at 7 years old. I'm just glad to be out on the track and even know about all these great players and Music.

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Going to the Gypsy camp in Gerwen and discovering rest-stroke picking...

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    DragonPL wrote: »
    the m6 and m7b5 , just like 6 and m7 chords are indeed same note chords, but dom9 is not.......
    wim wrote: »
    1. realising that m6, m7b5, dominant 9 were really the same chord

If you drop the root from a dominant 9th chord then it's spelled the same way as a m6 or m7b5. It's often used this way.

guitarua