DjangoBooks.com

La pompe, etc. with Reinier Voet

lacrossehotclublacrossehotclub La Crosse WI✭✭✭ Dupont Nomade
in Technique Posts: 116
Reinier Voet recently released a series of lessons including one on la pompe. There are several new players to the forum that may find this helpful and it never hurts to revisit technique.

watch?v=p7HSDrxoofY&list=PL2TrPkuyjM4d4bDvU2t50bLZc3skimEn4&index=6

Reinier outlines several “common practices” and suggestions such as -

* Beginners should start with American swing – straight four (Freddy Green) and first develop a consistent technique before moving on to the complexities of la pompe.

* Don’t be too dry with the upbeats in order to better hear the harmony behind the soloist. Hold the 2 & 4 long enough to fill the out sound (more tonal saturation, less Gonzalo). A wetter upbeat allows the rhythm to be played quieter and opens up more room for dynamics.

* Be consistent with your style from measure to measure.

* Have fun and make it swing!

The lesson is part of a longer course that can be downloaded for less than a cup of coffee and a slice of cheesecake last time I was in NY city…

(I have no commercial interest with this, just passing it along)

Comments

This is great!
    I like Reinier a lot. I "discovered" him and his band only this past summer and they were one of my most often listened to albums lately.

This is actually a whole series of gypsy jazz lessons and he does a nice job of dissecting a lick and explaining a theory behind it but in a very approachable way.
    I was just learning and working on the lick #43, modern Django sound.
    Love how it sounds.

Thanks
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • For the price of these lessons, the quality is quite good.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I was just coming here to ask about this series, if anyone has purchased it and can give a review? The lessons look to be really good. That rhythm video in the original post is an excellent one for newcomers!
  • I've purchased it for instant download. There is a discount right now, so it is relatively cheap for what is involved. For thos unfamiliar with True Fire, you get a set of videos, pdfs, and guitar pro files, in addition to their player. The player did not work for me but viewing the videos one by one is easy. I didn't need the pdfs but they are there.
    Overall, the first 3rd to half is for the new GJ guitar player. It is not an absolute beginner video per se, as it assumes you have some technical ability, but Reiner explains each concept thoroughly. He runs through chords and rhythms, with the best being the one shared. Then he get's into arpeggios and finally into licks.
    There is probably nothing new for advanced guitar players, but there are good licks for beginners in the first half and concepts and licks to explore for more advanced guitar players in the second half.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I love Reinier Voet and Jan, the band. Maybe a good shot in the arm, could use one right now.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • husyhusy Seattle✭✭✭
    Second that. I got to hear them live couple of weeks ago (per adrianh's suggestion on this board). Despite the chaotic venue their performance was a delight. Tight rhythm section with Jan and the bassist lady, and very original and expressive solos by Mr Voet on his semi-hollow.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @lacrossehotclub

Great post as you said
    The lesson is part of a longer course that can be downloaded for less than a cup of coffee and a slice of cheesecake last time I was in NY city…

I'm with @stuart on this one…
    This is really good, thanks for putting me on to it Steve. The course is advertised at $19 but came down to about $11 when various discounts were applied.

It's a no Brainer… Get it… Took about 3 hours to download,
    I'm on Lick 10 Chord Forms:1 Lick 10….for me this was really helpful. :peace:

Thanks Reinier Voet

pick on

pickitjohn
    I did a full download as well.
    I you could really own these 50 licks you'd be golden.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Got through the whole course as of last night.

There is so much info and the notes, chords, note relationship is explained so well. Reinier Voet is a great teacher he often references where Django used the lick on which recording so if you got the music you can hear the lick being used.

For me the PDF chord chart from Lick 1, 10, & 11, along with the these Video's was worth the price of admission. The other 47 licks are actually the meat and potatoes of the course so I'm really looking forward to getting some of these licks down. As he says have fun. Very good instruction on rest stop and always using downstrokes when changing strings.

IMO "very worth getting"

@lacrossehotclub thanks again

pick on

pickitjohn
  • lacrossehotclublacrossehotclub La Crosse WI✭✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    thanks again

Sure thing pickitjohn. That's the beauty of this forum, it's members and all the mutual support. It all comes around.

I'm about half way through the material, slowing it down and finding the nuance in even the "simple" material. Reinier really breaks it down in a way that's accessible and preserves the essence. Now if I could only remember it in the heat of the moment...