DjangoBooks.com

Fender Excelsior Tube Amp

Hey there,

I've been offered a Fender Excelsior at a good price and I was wondering if any members of the forum own one. I'm looking to combine it with a Stimer and I was wondering if anybody uses a rig like that.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Cheers!

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    You may have already seen it, but another forum member posted this demo with a Fender Excelsior and it sounds quite good. The pickup is a "peche a la mouche".

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11593&p=61011&hilit=Fender+Excelsior#p61011
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    I tried one yesterday,and will be buying one shortly.
    I tried it with an electric guitar,bit was so blown away by the tone of this thing....I must have one!!
    It made me wanna play....
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Ian, looks like they are on sale at Musician's Friend today for $249 in black. Great price.
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    I tried on in Sonic Blue yesterday,with the upgraded speaker,ect.
    I'll wait till Long & Mcquade put em' on Sale after Christmas.
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    I have very mixed feelings about the low end Fender amps. The are packaged nicely, look the part and etc. and on first blush seem to do the job , but when compared to almost any thing else including other less budget minded Fender products they fail.
    The blues Jr. comes to mind.
    Although some folks I work for like these and after reading the reviews and raves on fan sited I bought one.
    Easy to carry sounded good in a practice room.
    Failed on the gig, just did not cut it for anything other than mildly distorted sounds.
    If you plan on using it at home, you might be OK but on a gig at anything larger than a coffee house ? I don't think so.
    In part because the band won't hear you unless the thing is pointed at their heads.
    Save up a few bucks and get an amp. PCB amps of this type are toys. IMO. Sorry if your fans of these things. If you want a nostalgia amp buy one of the billions of narrow panel Fender Deluxe or Deluxe clones out there.
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar
    Hi everybody.
    I own too many amplifiers. From a 1957 Fender tweed Harvard, AER compact 60
    Pro Junior, Marshall Bluesbreaker etc..... So I would strongly suggest that you buy
    an Excelsior. It is one of my favorites. If not THE one.
    Tube sound, 15 inches speaker, 2 controls and yes, very loud. And great sounding!!
    Oh....and I almost forgot, 299$
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    edited December 2013 Posts: 440
    If the Excelsior rocks that hard Guitarmike I will be the first to congratulate you . Post a clip of a quartet at gig volume so we can hear what it does. I love Fender amps. Guess I'm down to 6 right now, from 14.[This does not include other tube amps and solid state amps. (i like amps)] I want to like Fender. So ? Yeah. Onward Excelsior !!
    At least it has 6V6's rather than those lame EL series tubes all the distortion junkies love.
    I don't know ? Jury's still out. I guess your looking for that Stimer 1 watt in a barrel tone ? :-SS