DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    edited August 2013 Posts: 230
    Yippee! I love Newtone strings, they are so hard to find.
    Michael, will you be getting any of the light sets in stock? PMH425 and I were just waxing poetic about these last night.

Are the Django Standard gauge in fact lighter than the Django Light gauge? Is that right?
  • I used Newtones on my dobro for years. Great strings as I recall
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Heretic wrote:
    Yippy! I love Newtone strings, they are so hard to find.
    Michael, will you be getting any of the light sets in stock? PMH425 and I were just waxing poetic about these last night.

I didn't get any of the light stets in this shipment, just the standard. I should have more lights in the future.

Heretic wrote:
    Are the Django Standard gauge in fact lighter than the Django Light gauge? Is that right?

Correct...

Thanks,

Michael
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    I'm a bit confused with the Names LIGHT, MEDIUM, STANDARD :?:

whole different gauging system :roll:

Newtone Gitane Nickel Strings (1 set): Medium

.011, .015, .020, .028, .036, .046.

Newtone Django Nickel Strings (1 set): Light

.011, .015, .022, .030, .040, .050

Newtone Django Nickel Strings (1 set): Standard

.011, .015, .020, .028, .036, .046

Newtone Django Silver Plated Copper Strings (1 set): Standard

.011, .015, .020, .028, .036, .046.

Anyone else ever use them?

pickitjohn
  • in a wound string the core diameter determines how much pull is exerted for a given pitch but the diameter still determines the pitch. so one can have a thicker string exerting the same pull as a thinner one by having a thinner core. i recall their gauging system is based at least in part, on total string pull

i recall Newtones having a nicely balanced sound and a nice feel. they are round core I believe

i will give them a try cause I really liked them on reso.
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    I played these strings years ago when they came in the old packaging as seen on the top of this posting. They were called Gitane Jazz in a purple wrapper with a gypsy caravan. They had beautiful tone.
    Since they repackaged them, and with the passage of time, does anybody know what the Gitane Jazz are equal to in the new packagings?
    Yes played those and liked them too. While I can't give you a straight answer I can tell you that they are very responsive to customer emails. I asked them to make me a custom set of GJ strings and Malcolm was quick to reply to all my inquiries.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • yesz, he made me a number of custom sets of reso strings, no fuss, great service.

i am thrilled that Michael is carrying them