DjangoBooks.com

Lessons in Philly?

2»

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Jack wrote:

I wonder if M. Horowitz will grace us with his bounty of CDs and lessons again?

Yes...I most likely will be there!

'm

Excellent news, Michael-I just got my tax refunds today, so you can expect to reap most of those rewards. Plus this will give you a chance to personally deliver my signed, first-edition, hand-bound and gold-plated copy of Gypsy Rhythm. Can't wait!

Best,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Jack wrote:

Excellent news, Michael-I just got my tax refunds today, so you can expect to reap most of those rewards. Plus this will give you a chance to personally deliver my signed, first-edition, hand-bound and gold-plated copy of Gypsy Rhythm. Can't wait!

I don't know if I'll have the book....but I'd be glad to take your money!

ha ha

'm
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    M,

You get more of my money than the grocery store! Book or no, I'll be glad to see you out here-hope you make it. Be a mensch, and come see the family!

Best,
    Jack.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    I had a great lesson with Kruno last night. We went over rhythm techniques, starting with a rake-chick technique where you quickly rake the pick across the bass strings on beats 1 & 3 and do a quick muted "chick" on 2 & 4. Went over some chord forms and did a lot of work on arpeggios & which fit where. There's the typical Django technique where he goes up to the notes in an arpeggio from a half step below, or down from a scale tone above. This will take some practice. Worked on right hand technique -- wrist should be arched, pick just behind soundhole, don't plant fingers -- I have to break a lot of old habits. I have a lot to work on!

Kruno's a great player, and a very good teacher, at least for my way of learning.

Michael, I'm going to send you a PM so check your messages.

Jack, thanks for the note about Django in June. I would love to make it up there -- we shall see.

John

P.S. Kruno played my Gitane DG-300 -- I thought it sounded great in his hands, though as he pointed out the 1st string sounds a little weak compared to the others. Will have to try to figure out why. Still, I was quite startled by how good it sounds in the hands of a good player (I've actually never heard anyone else play it!)
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Sockeye--

I tried to send you a PM yesterday, but the PC acted funny and I'm not sure it got through. I wondered if you are going to Django in June. I already have my reservations, and you are welcome to share a ride if we can both squeeze into my Mini.

Send me a PM and let me know or answer here if that's easier.

Michael
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • stevpaulstevpaul south jerseyNew
    Would like to get together with other people who are learning Gypsy Jazz guitar in Philly area. I'm in Mount Laurel, NJ - would love to jam casually with people. Am new to this forum, not sure how to post contact info. Have been teaching myself for 6 months and would like to share music and experience.
    thanks,
    Steven