Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

AndhiP youlovestook AurelInTaunus

Who's Online (1)

• DarrenKingUK 10:19PM

Swing Guitars 1947 solo by Django Reinhardt - Augusto Creni

qkuqku New
edited May 2013 in Gypsy Jazz Italia

Django Reinhardt et le Quintette du Hot Club de France
Stéphane Grappelli (v); Django Reinhardt (g solo); Joseph Reinhardt, Eugène Vées (g); Fred Ermelin (b) 1947 November 21 - Radiodiffusion-Television Française, Paris

integral version + 50 Cents
http://papabecker.com/audio/Django Reinhardt - Swing Guitars - 21&28.11.1947.mp3

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    You have an awesome feel for that solo!

Down below the video you gave a link to the Integrale version "+ 50cents" and when I first looked at it I had to laugh... "Man, I didn't know Django recorded Swing Guitars with 50Cent."

Now That... would be an iconic collaboration...

But of course you meant that Integrale is half a pitch up... true true...

Great playing, man...
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Augusto, awesome job on that!

I was wondering at 0:12 in your vid (just after the Db7b5 arp (ending on the 12th fret harmonic) I hear a chord 'splash' in the background that sounds like Db9 (x x 9 10 9 11). Do you think that is Django playing that or one of the accompanists?

Thanks for posting the vid. I have wanted to work on this one for a while.
    lostjohn
  • Definately Joseph and Eugene playing that. They do it later as well.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ok, cool. How can you tell? I'm having a hard time differentiating the various instruments on that recording.

Thanks
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Because in a few places it would be impossible, like at 0:27 where Django seems to hold the note over the "splash". Also, I get the feeling he would lose a little of the groove while soloing, he rarely did any chord work while soloing unless it was a part of the solo, but when playing rhythm he did a lot of embellishments in the rhythm like that.

I'm just guessing :)
  • If you listen to the actual recording, it is clearly the rhythm guitarists.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Thanks guys. I'll check it out. I'm guessing that they would need big ears to be confident enough to throw in rhythm splashes behind Django especially during a recording session (and big nads!) but they probably had enough time together to be able to anticipate when to put them in.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Agreed. BTW, really love the rhythm playing on that take.