DjangoBooks.com

AE Video: Finding the Elusive Gyspy Swing Rhythm!

13»

Comments

• PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Hey Ed...interesting stuff..thanks for posting...seems to me, that when you and I were just lads, back in 2003 and were chewing on our jerk chicken whilst watching Jan Brouwer keep rhythm for Fapy...that Jan had a much freer/lighter/bouncy, (whatever's the correct expression), technique with his right arm...it's an interesting comparison and I enjoy both styles.
    cheers
    Phil
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    So true Phil. I remember Jan talking about mimicking an accordion with the rhythm. Kind of a quick rhythmic "whop" with each chord as if you're bouncing your hand on an accordion. Then there was Fapy's suggestion to ensure sufficient swing with the right arm by mounting a pencil in the upper bout of the guitar body and touching the pencil with each rhythm strum.

It seems to me, the feel of Gypsy jazz rhythm has changed many, many times since the Hot Club's first recordings. It keeps changing and it will keep changing. There's a thousand GJ-inspired bands in the world today -- all with access to one another; all with exposure to other musical feels that they bring to the GJ table; and, all with a desire to make their mark whether revising an old school sound or playing something new.

Have you ever been to a pot-luck and found five bowls of potato salad? You may prefer one over the other and dislike another, but it's all potato salad. Same goes for GJ rhythm. :wink: AE
  • Wise words Eddy
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed