DjangoBooks.com

Vox AC4 + Pêche à la Mouche... thoughts?

kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
Hey all, I am looking for a budget solution to approximate a later Django sound. Right now I have a Pêche à la Mouche pickup that I am running through a ZT lunchbox junior but I am thinking to try out a low watt tube amp.

I came across the Epiphone Valve Junior, which looks nice but I have read pretty bad reviews.
There is a nice looking Gretsch Electromatic but I can't find one to sample.

Right now I am considering the Vox AC4, which has the nice advantage of being able to select the output wattage for low key playing (I am not a high volume seeker).

The problem is that every sample out there wants to show me how bluesy or overdriven the amp can get, and that is not the sound I'm particularly looking for.

Can any gear heads on here think of a better low wattage, budget solution? Or am I better off just to stick with my ZT for all the difference it would make?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• AhabAhab GB✭✭
    I was looking for the same kind of thing, and I tried an old Silverface Fender Champ. You get a nice tube overdriven tone at low volumes.
  • martin bmartin b London✭✭ Epiphone Deluxe
    I would think all of those $100 or so budget tube amps are going to be much the same. Yes they do market them on their "awesome overdrive" capabilities, but to the average lay-consumer that's what "tube amp" means. They should nevertheless have at least some clean headroom. The key to cleaning up an amp that's too overdriven, which is often overlooked, is to back off the volume on the guitar or pickup a little bit. Too much though and you'll lose treble.
    Much better would be something like the aforementioned Champ, an old Gibson or Valco-built amp. Try and find an Ampeg Jet, clean all the way. This will set you back $500+ though. Something to work up to if you're currently on a tighter budget. (Who isn't?)
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    I've got the new Lunchbox Junior (from Michael) and like it a lot (better than the other Lunchboxes I tried). Very small, quiet, simple and convenient and looks nice too. Actually works well with my Schertler Basik. I like the 9volt line out to power effects (I use an analog delay). If you wanted to fatten up your Peche, just shove an overdrive pedal in there (just keep the gain down to a reasonable level). Don't know about the Vox AC4, but Fender silverface Champs and Vibro Champs are very lovely little tube amps with a lot of natural tube warmth and compression. They're basically the same as the blackface versions, but much lower prices. They'll hold their value well. Agree about Valcos and Supros.Those things are stylin' for days, but are harder to find than Fenders. Old Silvertone and Harmony tube amps are affordable options. Not the quality of Fenders, but still have the classic vintage tone.
    Swang on,