DjangoBooks.com

Old "mystery" guitar

2»

Comments

• Joseph,JosephJoseph,Joseph oregon mystery gyspy
    Bob,
    Could I get a hold of you to send you pictures of a different guitar without label or provenance to determine its possible origins?
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Joseph, one guy on this forum you should let see the pictures is "frater", who knows more about these obscure gypsy guitars than anyone I know of. I suggest you post the pictures and see what the people here can tell you. If there's a reason that you don't want to post them publicly, consider sending Frater a PM with pics attached. But there are others here who really have a feel for the obscure guitars, and there's a reasonable chance someone can identify yours, or at least narrow the choices.

I love old mystery guitars, and so I'd love to see yours for the pure pleasure of it.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Haha, I had to get some work done but came back to this page to post pretty much what MB just said. I specialize in half a dozen of the really top old instruments - I'm a mile deep and an inch wide. What you need is a guy who is exactly the opposite of that - and there are a couple of them on this forum. If you feel comfortable doing so - this would be a good place to post the pics.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    edited March 2013 Posts: 763
    Thank you Michael, you're kind as always but I'm just a guy who loves ugly guitars! And I guess ugly guitars love me, in fact I keep stumbling on them and sometimes I'm able to solve some minor mystery. For example I've just found an answer to this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11214&p=58493&hilit=Catania#p58493

It's not a Catania, it's a Stefano Caponnetto, I've found one in a shop couple days ago. Different decoration (sober as always!) same guitar. Here it is:

And no, they wouldn't sell it to me :cry:
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Cool!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    OOOOOOHHH AAAAAAAAHH! A Stefano Caponnetto huh? I DIG IT! AE
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 600
    i just missed acquiring this old Stefano Caponnetto guitar , someone outbid me... [picture below]

ihr4wdlm36j1.jpeg

Daveyc
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited February 2016 Posts: 476
    Good god, that's hard to take in. Very beautiful. Obvious comparison to Paco, but then not really. The romantic notion of the unknown master playing to passersby is hard to figure.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • MadrosMadros Isle of Texel , Holland New
    Hi there , Madros here .
    I’ve got an original Stefano Caponnetto guitar for sale !