DjangoBooks.com

Entry level GJ guitar? Newbie Q.

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Oh, good, Kevor. I hope you enjoy it. I've read it, likely, 4-5 times now...I love his work. I like the concept of this book - sort of a twin look, from Django's time and development, and the same haunts and districts Django walked, with today's scene. I also really enjoy his other book, well, other two books, actually - all covering the Master, but with different flavors in the telling. Worth checking out, in my opinion...whenever my spirits flag, anyway, I go to Dregni for a bit of a spiritual boost...
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    Oh, good, Kevor. I hope you enjoy it. I've read it, likely, 4-5 times now...I love his work. I like the concept of this book - sort of a twin look, from Django's time and development, and the same haunts and districts Django walked, with today's scene. I also really enjoy his other book, well, other two books, actually - all covering the Master, but with different flavors in the telling. Worth checking out, in my opinion...whenever my spirits flag, anyway, I go to Dregni for a bit of a spiritual boost...

With respect to his other two books you referred to... I found these ones:

1) Django: The Life and Music of a Gypsy Legend

I just ordered it too (gotta luv used books on Amazon ;)

2) Django Reinhardt and the Illustrated History of Gypsy Jazz

I'll get the 2nd one too. Thanks for the tip!
    Good for you, Kevor. I love them all, hope you enjoy them.
    -Paul

klaatu wrote:
    If you can afford a little more, the Altamira M01 is a great starting guitar, with very authentic sound.

Well, I bought the guitar you recommended. I found a dealer in Canada and got a pretty good price for it. I am looking forward to playing it. As a beginner in this genre, and an experienced guitar player in general, I want to develop with the proper instrument.

From what I have been reading I may have to change the tuning pegs on it.

Where would I find a quality set for this instrument?
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    i find the tuners on my altamira (M10, solid mahogany) to be quite good, actually. they´re 16:1 gear ratio (i guess it´s the standard), with no backlash and fluid and precise turning.
    anyway, probably best bang for the buck for an upgrade would be Schaller Classic Deluxe selmer style tuners. where are you? in america? djangobooks´your friend: http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/tun ... uners.html
    in europe? maybe thommann: http://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_class ... yle_go.htm

if you prefer nickel tuners you can save a bit. actually selmers are the only guitars where i favor the golden look.

happy playing!
    miguel.
    noodlenot wrote:
    i find the tuners on my altamira (M10, solid mahogany) to be quite good, actually. they´re 16:1 gear ratio (i guess it´s the standard), with no backlash and fluid and precise turning.
    anyway, probably best bang for the buck for an upgrade would be Schaller Classic Deluxe selmer style tuners. where are you? in america? djangobooks´your friend: http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/tun ... uners.html
    in europe? maybe thommann: http://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_class ... yle_go.htm

if you prefer nickel tuners you can save a bit. actually selmers are the only guitars where i favor the golden look.

happy playing!
    miguel.

Hi Miguel, Thanks for your impression on the tuning pegs. I don't know if the M01 tuners are of the same quality.

I would consider changing the pegs only if they make the tuning difficult or slip. In my other guitars (electric) I most always upgrade the tuning posts, even on upscale guitars. A cursory search on the forums here has brought up the issue that the tuning pegs weren't a good quality and they should be upgraded.

Yes, I have made several purchases from the djangobooks store (I live in Canada). I will probably make more since my dependable music store has told me that gypsy jazz strings are a special order item.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    Well, I did the same search and was planning to upgrade but as money was on the tight side I ended up postponing the tuners. I ended up delaying the upgrade permanently as the original tuners are serving me well. I don't know what I'm loosing, though, maybe the upmarket tuners are REALLY much better - maybe someone around here will let us know.

Cheers,
    Miguel.
    noodlenot wrote:
    Well, I did the same search and was planning to upgrade but as money was on the tight side I ended up postponing the tuners. I ended up delaying the upgrade permanently as the original tuners are serving me well. I don't know what I'm loosing, though, maybe the upmarket tuners are REALLY much better - maybe someone around here will let us know.

Cheers,
    Miguel.

Take this with a grain of salt, guys, but I know my initial impulse was to seek improvements on my DG-300, Gitane Model John Jorgenson. I did almost immediately get a better bridge, a Dupont; but outside of that, nothing until recently, going with lighter strings. I was well-advised to find improvements in my hands, and not in trying to turn the guitar into a luthier-instrument. I'm glad I went this way - would rather save $ for an eventual upgrade, over re-workng a perfectly serviceable, road-worthy instrument.

You all might have more experience than me; just mine.
    -Paul

• I have an old Saga Gitane entry level beach guitar that I am going to turn into a D hole :shock: :shock: :shock: so I can shave down the braces :shock: :shock: :shock:

It looks like pretty good wood and the neck is great but it is just too damped. Probably too much finish too.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    I took the finish off a Dhole Jorgenson and put on a french polish coat, it makes a huge difference once all that poly is off. We tested sound just as bare wood and it sounded far more open and lost the overtone woof from all the damping effects of the coating. Definitely a fun project.