DjangoBooks.com

What is this progression? Help

Comments

• I suspect those progressions have been called lots of things depending on location 8) genre :roll: frustration level and who knows what else.

I think that is probably why in modern jazz terms the numbers are used.

A turnaround is not a specific progression. It is a harmonic or melodic link usually used when repeating a section or a song. :wink:

Inbasic harmonic terms, going from D major to d#dim to E minor the diminished chord is a passing chord moving the bass line up a semitone between the I and the ii chords.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    Amazing!!
    Just last night, I was watching Olivier Kowalski's documentary Life After Django (which, by the way, is fantastic) for the zillionth time and in one scene Romane is correcting Matthieu Chatelaine on a particular progression and he mentioned both Anatole and Christophe and of course I had no idea to whom he was referring. ....mystery solved!! :D
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    Kal-El,
    Do you know the historical significance for giving the devices those particular names (as opposed to, say Mike or Bill...or Scarlett)?
    Just curious.
    Thanks for the info!!
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • Kal-ELKal-EL New
    Hiya, i love etymologies!

From memory, 'christoph' comes its use in an old standard called Christopher Columbus. i know a song by the ink spots of that name (but dont remember it having that turnaround) :?

i looked up a french website which says anotol is a term used for skeletons in medical schools named after a surgeon of that name. im guessing the link is skeleton/structure/backbone of the song :?

dont suppose it matters what you call it as long as we talking about the same thing! :D
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    To Kal-El

Of course it is not very important as the same thing can easily have different names by just to precise the sources of what I said before :

The name of "Rag" for such a sequence (ex: Bill Bailey or Tiger Rag 3rd theme) is given by Philippe Baudoin in his works on Jazz Harmony and commonly used to indicate this harmony motion and the source is, believe me, far more important and complete than any of the precious works done by the appreciated Denis Chang.

Help yourself - if you have time and curiosity - by consulting the following work a complete analysis of jazz harmony =>

9782907891011.jpg

Baudoin is the author of The underground best "Anthology of Jazz Charts", more than 1500 tunes going from Scot Joplin to John Coltrane. A well known companion of professionnal jazzmen for years from 1968 till today...

It is an absolute must!

you can find it here : http://www.mediafire.com/?mmyzgnfyjdz
  • Kal-ELKal-EL New
    thanks spatzo, ive dowloaded that link - looks interesting!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Cool link, thanks!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    From a a very clever and informative book called "L'argot des musiciens" by Bouchaux, Juteau and Roussin, here is the entry for "anatole": The origin of the expression is controversial. (Jazz scholar) Philip Baudoin gives us the following -"According to Hugues Panassie, it most probably came from the practice in anatomy of calling the skeleton "anatole" (the harmonic sequence in question being the backbone of the tune). On the other hand, saxophonist Jean-Claude Fohrenbach suggests that the expression came into use after the war and was invented by a guitarist who lacked a musical education and thus gave names to those chord sequences that most often fell under his fingers." The editors go on to say that "Knowing the feeling and erudition of Jean-Claude Fohrenbach, we tend to lean towards the second hypothesis". The second part of the "anatole" which is I-I7-IV-IVm-V7 is known as "julot", and is from the 40s and of gitane origin.

Again, according to this dictionary, the chord sequence known as "Christophe" does come from "Christopher Columbus" and the slang term had it's origin with J-C Fohrenbach. R.Crumb's Cheap Suit Serenaders did a hilarious and filthy version of this tune with the late lamented Leila Jane Dornacker on vocals. You can probably find it on youtube. If you have never heard the "Cheap Suit Serenaders, it was truly one of the best bands ever...

The world of music is a wonderful place!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    OK, here's another chord progression name--- ever heard of a "Sears and Roebuck" bridge?

I learned this from an older sax player: it's a bridge with the following chords:

I7---IV---II7---V7

Fats Waller was fond of this progression and used it a lot, most famously on "Honeysuckle Rose" and another one of his tunes which he sold to another songwriter "I Can't Give You Anything But Love"... There are dozens of other examples.

If you've never been to North America, you may not know that Sears and Roebuck (now just called Sears) is one of our major department stores... I guess if this progression were being named now, they'd call it a "Walmart bridge"... :!:

Then there is the so-called "rhythm bridge" III7---VI7---II7---V7

which gets its name from the song it came from, Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm"

... And of course, there are "Rhythm Changes" over which every jazz player worth their salt has done hours of woodshedding in every possible key...

Confusingly "Rhythm changes" can sometimes refer to the complete 32 bar set of changes to the tune "I Got Rhythm": eg, Lester Young's "Lester Leaps In" and Django's "Double Whiskey" are both based upon these chords.

But I've also heard jazz musicians use the same term as shorthand for a I-vi7-ii7-V7 cadence..so you have to be careful about the context, I guess...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • If someone were to call rhythm changes and start counting in then they mean the song form complete but nowadays without the extra 2 bar kicker at the end which is actually a 4 bar coda started 2 bars before the end :lol:

Otherwise rhythm changes usually refers to a 1625 harmony which is harmonically speaking just the tonic major and its relative minor and the dominant and its relative minor
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed