DjangoBooks.com

New JK Shadow alto

edited June 2012 in Woodwinds Posts: 3,707
Well I have to say something. :D I picked up my mint condition few year old shdaw alto on Friday. It was completely redone and setup from new by Ken Beason who did setups for Michael Brecker

I am sooo lucky to have this horn.. Way easier to play than my sml, with ergos just right for my big paws. Love the sound I am getting with it.

Another week or so and I will have the intonation changes from my old sax grooved. I would say it is one of the better saxes I have played for intonation.

Andy, it will take me a few weeks but I am looking forward to what mayhem we might create :?:
The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Comments

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    heya Jazzaferri, I'm glad you're loving the new sounds from your new alto. the JK tenors had a good reputation as having a big sound, though there were infamously tone-hole problems on the SX90R,
    http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/Keilwerth_sx90r_tenor.htm
    I dont think I've ever played one of the altos, though. There's nothing worse than being disappointed with the sound from a horn - I have a 1955 Selmer mk6 alto I'm not in love with -great ergos, but intonation and weakly-voiced tone problems, and I may let it go , try to find a modern Selmer S80-II, or an old Buescher instead.
    Looking forward to a joint recording, Mayhem sounds like the right word, maybe our 'band' should be called "Gadjo Mayhem" :lol:

of course.. all you other woodwind guys & gals are invited to participate in this recording , too....

-a-
  • Lol we could do it Dixie style and have everyone solo at the same time :lol:
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    ..or Hot-club-of-Glasgow style: everyone solos at the same time, but in different keys... :roll:

-A-
  • Is the key issue connected with the issuing of large quantities of pints?
    :mrgreen:

I have heard that mk6's can vary a lot. Is there some mk6 tech guru who can work wonders with them?

The guy who did my JK has a metal form that he uses on the inside of the horn at the tenon receiver as I gather in a number of horns the get too much heat there in the factory and shrink the metal. Also he solders the bell on, though he does such a great job can't tell, as he believes the resonate better.

Tis horn is wAy more responsive and the keys are easier to play than my JKSop . Methinks he really knows his Keilweths.

I feel a bit like a sports car guy driving a formula one car :shock: :lol: