DjangoBooks.com

New iPad3 + iReal b = Holy Cow!

HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 308
This iPad + iReal b thing is AMAZING. I was drooling over this setup at DIJ last year and I finally got around to buying myself a little gift... It's an early celebration of completing the project I'm on at work. :D The iReal b forums are INSANE with music to download. And whoever sectioned off the DIJ tunes last year is way cool. I plan to spend some time transcribing more than a few grills over to the iReal b format. It is a little unsettling tho that there are so many variations of some of these tunes.

The only trouble I'm finding is reading the new chord styles quickly; how C- is written instead of Cm and not crisscrossing E(pyramid)7 [I know only the 6th root variation right now] with E7. I think I still have holes in my chord knowledge as looking through these charts raises the eyebrow quite a bit with "what the frack is THAT chord" :lol:

Need to crack open the Gypsy Rhythm book and straighten myself out.

Comments

• HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    There are a coiple of functions to modify the display. Changing the m in Cm to C- is one of them. You can choose from a few background colors or tone. I prefer a black background with white letters.

Now I just want to add a few side view mirrors on so I can look off to the left and right in order to see fellow jammers while looking at the charts simultaneously. :wink:
    HCQ
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    Yep iReal B is amazing app. I think its worth to buy an ipad just for that. I use it almost every day for gigs and rehearsals. Also igigBook is cool. You must have your own realbooks but this app has indexes with a search option, so you can find and open the desired tune in seconds.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    It's also available for Android devices:
    http://www.irealb.com/page3/
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    HCQ thank you! Found the C- to Cm switch. Much easier. :lol:

Looking through the Gypsy Songs I see quite a lot of dom7 chords and a few dom9. Any rule where as more of a beginner I should be substituting 6s?
  • itsthewooitsthewoo
    You substitute a maj6 wherever you see a major chord (including maj7).

You should also substitute the min6 for any min7 chord that isn't part of a ii-V.

Dom7 chords stay the way they are, and dom9 chords can be played as dom7.
  • rodachrodach New
    Is it possible to transcribe melodies from lead sheets on iReal app? or does this just work with chords?
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    from ireal pro help pages...

Why can't I see the lyrics/melody?

Unfortunately, copyright and legal issues with publishers and copyright holders restrict us from including melody and lyrics.
    As indicated in the store description, iReal Pro supports transposable chord charts with play along function.

pick on

pickitjohn :peace: