DjangoBooks.com

Tuner Options

Hey everybody,

I've been really interesting in getting an Altamira M01D for awhile now and I've been collecting funds to get it (I'm so close now!) I am, however, curious about tuner upgrades. I've heard that the biggest complaint with the Altamira is the tuners. It seems my choices are between:
Saga Gitane Deluxe Tuners
Schaller Classic Deluxe Tuners
and DR Brass Tuners

First off, being very new to the forum and GJ guitars in general, what is DR and what is DM?

Secondly, I'm leaning towards the Schallers but I was just wondering the comparison between the three. Which ones are better? Is there even much of a difference? Etc.

As always, all the information and advice given is readily received and very much appreciated.

Thanks so much
AmmonB

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Either the Schallers or the DRs would be superior to the Sagas, although any of them would be an improvement on the stock tuners, which work OK and turn well but look really cheap and cheesy.

Check with Michael before ordering to see if any of those tuners require a technician to install them. Sometimes a new set of tuners can be a simple drop-in, sometimes a bit of extra work is involved, which means greater expense.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • AmmonBAmmonB ✭✭
    Ben (klaatu),

I appreciate the response. I'm set on the Schallers then. On Michael's site it mentioned that they need to be professionally installed which is no issue seeing as how I was already planning on having the folks at djangobooks to do the setup as well. I wouldn't trust myself just yet with installing tuners anyhow. I also don't know anyone in the Sacramento area who has worked on GJ guitars before. But enough rambling. Thank you for the response. It is much appreciated. I'd hate to have cheap looking tuners on such a new guitar, therefore I will stick to the Schallers.

I do, however, have a couple other questions. (These are not aimed at you specifically to answer but if you have more knowledge to share, I'd greatly appreciate it.)

1. On the site there are quite a number of cases listed. Which one is best? Quality and reliability wise?

2. In the guitar options there is mention of "Ebony Tailpiece Ins." Do these improve the guitar in any way besides aesthetics?

Much obliged,
    AmmonB
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    1. All of the cases are excellent. Among the hardshells, I'm a bit partial to the Guardians, but the Golden Gates and Superiors are quite good as well. The fibreglass ones might give somewhat more protection, but they're quite a bit more expensive.

2. As far as I know, the tailpiece inserts are purely esthetic.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • AmmonBAmmonB ✭✭
    Awesome. Thank you!