DjangoBooks.com

Fake dupont

Thoughts on this? It seems to be very different to the other faker floating around in NZ. Anyone else seen anything like it?

Looks and hardware remind me of an Aersi.

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 959

Yep, Aersi definitely. Abalone inlay, two piece back etc.

I had one years ago, there was someone in Queensland Aus who was trying to sell them as real Duponts a few years ago.

Not such a bad guitar for four or five hundred bucks as long as you know what you are getting.

rudolfochrist
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Definitely an Aersi. The abalone inlays and the truss rod cover on the headstock is a giveaway. I don't recall seeing truss rod access at the headstock on a Dupont - although the Nomad may be an exception.

rudolfochrist
    always learning
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

First, I'm actually not convinced that this is a real Dupont and I can't say anything about Aersi guitars, but I'd like to note that you can have every Selmer style Dupont with abalone inlays on head, top border and rosette for 970 EUR extra. And judging from those pictures (https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/dupont-dm50e-2013) there are Duponts with truss rod covers on the headstock.

What I'd like to know is, are there are more indicators to differentiate fake from real Dupont guitars?

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

I have never seen a Dupont with that tacky blue abalone inlay; not just rosette but edge binding too, but I do believe it may be available as a special order, as is anything at a price I guess.

The cheap Chinese guitars have a two-piece back with the two halves separated by a strip down the middle; (I guess it is easier than matching veneers) and those generic cheap Chinese tuners,

I also did not know if Dupont made guitars with a truss rod cover on the headstock but if they did I bet they at least put them on straight.

Many Chinese factories advertise that they can supply any logo/decal of the customers choice and they are not shy about ignoring any trade mark laws.

rudolfochrist
  • TwangTwang New

@rudolfochrist That's an f hole Dupont. Pretty much all F hole selmer style guitars, by any maker, have a truss rod cover cos you can't access the truss rod via the sound hole....cos there isn't one 😁

rudolfochrist
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

And the heel looks a bit thicker than most although I have seen Aersis with even thicker heels, maybe they're learning.

always learning
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15

looks like 24 karat gold plated tuners to me...NOT