DjangoBooks.com

Which keys are essential?

JonathankJonathank New
edited September 2020 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 12
Hi Caleb,

(Last post for tonight).

I know Django and any self respecting would-be jazz guitarist should be fluently soloing in any key they want but I was just wondering (following an earlier post to this forum about which keys the beginners Django tunes were in- looks like C/Am, G, F/Dm, D, etc) whether anyone who has had a wider knowledge of gypsy jazz recordings could tell me if there were any keys that Django or the modern gyspy's obviously favoured.

I understand how periods with Rostaing or late period with Ekyan would normally call for keys sympathetic to their instruments(Bb and Eb ?), but was just wondering whether I can streamline my practice routine by focusing on some priority keys at least for a while....

:wink:

Comments

• KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
    One of Django's clarinet players could only play in F (Maurice Meunier).
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I am not sure what keys would be favored, so to speak. I do think it is absolutley essential to learn how to play in every single key. Lucky for us transposing on a guitar is easier than some other instruments. I am in a lot of classes here at school with horn players who are great musicians and could improvise circles around me, but ask them to play a solo in a key they aren't used to playing in and they will go insane for us it isn't so bad. I would say starting out it is essential to learn tunes in keys that you and the people you play with play in. Then go ffrom there.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2005 Posts: 121
    Dm would be the new guys favorite but then likely going into Am and E in a tune from there.
    What songs are in E? I think G, F, and D majors, along with Dm, Am, and Gm are each far more useful than E.

Em is useful for waltzes, but I can't think of any "beginner" songs in E major. Feel free to correct me.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Some basic ideas:

G minor: Douce Ambiance, Blues en Mineur, It Don't Mean a Thing, Esprit, Rhythmes Gitanes, Swing 48, Swing Gitan, Just One for Babik...

C: All of Me, Exactly Like You, After You've Gone, Artillerie Lourde, J'Attendrai, Swing 42, Swing de Paris...

Dm: Les Yeux, Blue Drag, Latcho Drom, Anouman, Cesar Swing, Bossa Dorado...

Am: Minor Swing, Swing for Ninine, Anniversary Song, Ma Premiere Guitare...

Have fun,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Troublant Bolero is in E major....
    You know, even while I was typing it I thought of Troublant Bolero... but that's not what I would consider a straight ahead "beginner" song. I'm not great on theory, but doesn't it switch to Em after the first 2 bars anyway?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    It has some short modulations, but it's definitely in E major.

No, you're right. It's not really a beginning song.

'm
    Ah, thanks...maybe that's why I haven't been able to figure out anything to play over it yet ;)
  • JonathankJonathank New
    Hi thanks everyone

Very enlightening, particularly the piece from Jack.

Now to get back to that fretboard....

Jonathan