DjangoBooks.com

In memoriam Wedeli Köhler +

BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
edited August 2011 in Welcome Posts: 527
Sad news: Wedeli Köhler passed away.

Wedeli, Gypsy jazz violinist, died on 16 August at the age of 62. He became known especially for his band "Hot Club da Sinti" and later founded the Wedeli Köhler Quartett.
Wedeli Köhler (born on April 11, 1949 in Munich, died on August 16, 2011) was a German musician of Gypsy Jazz (violin, guitar and earlier). Wedelis grandfather was an imperial court musician in Vienna. His parents, who both played violin briefed him on the violin, while also learning the guitar. He has performed publicly at age nine. In 1973 he was a violinist for the sextet of Mike Reinhardt, with whom he also recorded. His own group Hot Club da Sinti since he founded with guitarist and bassist Jani Schmeling Lehmann Lehmann as a quartet in the style of the Quintette du Hot Club de France. Instead of the solo guitarist Danny Weiss in 1979 Tchavolo Schmitt, 1985, the ensemble disbanded. In the now established Wedeli Köhler Quartet with pianist Unge Schmitt, he played violin and guitar, alternating and approached the first to Modern Jazz. The group included musicians like Dorado Schmitt, Ziroli Winterstein and then his son Sascha Köhler. In recent years he performed with Jan Jankeje projects.

R.I.P, Wedeli

Barengero

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    RIP Sad news indeed
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    If I'm not mistaken, Wedeli also played in Bireli's original quartet.
    R.I.P. Wedeli
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Also recorded an album with Hot Club da Sinti in 1981 featuring a young Tchavolo Schmitt on lead guitar, by the name of "Wonderful"