DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Wow, that's a beauty!

I own the vintage Castelluccia that Bob studied in preparing to build this bench copy:
    http://tinyurl.com/3jy3e6c

It is very much like Dorado's guitar in the Bireli video (although Michael tells me mine is in better shape). Dorado actually sold that guitar not long ago and has probably been regretting it ever since:
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2010/Mar/28/il/hawaii3280312.html

There are some visual differences. Bob's guitars are usually not slavish copies, rather they include some nice touches of his own. The redwood top is beautiful, and the guitar features Bob's characteristic clean fretboard (which I prefer) and Busato-style neck. But the mahogany back and sides look nearly identical to the original. Nice job of matching the wood grain.

Can't wait to see the video, if the guitar sits there long enough for one to be made. If this instrument is as good as Bob's other reproductions, it is a killer indeed. The light-as-a-feather original sounds simply amazing, dry and responsive with an authentic vintage gypsy sound. Possibly the best rhythm instrument I've ever played, and great projection and tone on solos. Michael Bauer compared it very favorably to his 50s Busato, at about 1/3 the price. I suspect someone is going to be very happy with this new Holo creation.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    The Redwood top is beautiful indeed.
    I had always assumed (and Craig too) that the top of your Castelluccia was a spruce, maybe some German / Engleman Variety of it. Do you think it's the case ?
    - JG
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Joli Gadjo wrote:
    I had always assumed (and Craig too) that the top of your Castelluccia was a spruce, maybe some German / Engleman Variety of it. Do you think it's the case ?
    Yes, it is spruce, but I couldn't tell you what variety. Perhaps Bob or Michael H might know.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Here's a sound clip of this guitar! Sounds fantastic...
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    klaatu wrote:
    Joli Gadjo wrote:
    Yes, it is spruce, but I couldn't tell you what variety. Perhaps Bob or Michael H might know.
    I don´t know much about that guitar - or any other, for that m,atter -, but if it´s from the 60s, it most probably is european spruce (P. abies), as it was not common to import Sitka at the time. It´s difficult to tell from the picture, though, because of ageing, lighting and finish - it gives the top a brownish matte look. As a rule of thumb, there´s generally a pink hue to sitka spruce.

Bob´s guitar looks precious, BTW, but we all know that.

cheers,
    miguel.