DjangoBooks.com

Gallato Angelo Debarre Model

Does anyone have any experience or opinions about these?

Where to get them new or how much they go for used?

Thanks

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I had one for a while. It seemed well made, if a bit on the heavy side. Dry sound, decent volume. The neck was somewhat squarish and meaty, not to everyone's taste. It opened up some in the time I had it. I asked a number of pros to try it out at Django in June, and they seemed to like it, thought it would be a good guitar with more playing time. I've sold it since, and the buyer seemed happy with it.

One good source for them is http://www.gypsyguitar.de. Norman usually has a number of them on hand. They also show up on eBay from time to time.

There has been some suggestion that some of the construction takes place in Asia, with final assembly in France or Spain (they have two shops). Serge Gallato says no, but his response was somewhat open to interpretation. I liked it better than any Asian-built guitar I've ever tried, but I haven't tried the Dell'Arte Manouche models.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles