DjangoBooks.com

Extra Light String Suggestions

I have been more and more encroaching on playing this gypsy style of guitar very recently. I have been an electric guitar player for quite a long time and I am making a transition to playing acoustic jazz guitar.

I own a Dell'Arte Pigalle, small hole with a 26.4" scale length. I have been experimenting with different strings on it.

Can some people recommend a very light guage strings that would be passable for this type of guitar. I am not after the pure gypsy-jazz sound. I am after anything that is silver plated alloy or silk core. I am trying to get the loosest feel while I make the transition to gypsy-jazz.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Any of the popular GJ string brands work fine and are guaged right for these guitars. The wound G strings wear out fast, so you might want to get extras. I use Argentine 11s (I like their logo of the Gaucho). The feel and action is pretty close to my Fender Tele strung 10-46. If you want to go ultra light, experiment with custom guage Ernie Ball nickel strings...they work too. You could go down to .008 on the high E to.036 on the low end but you would probably lose volume (James Burton uses super light guage strings on his Teles and gets away with it). I would stay away from bronze acoustic strings. Some suppliers string up Sel Macs with bronze strings...don't sound right and feel way too stiff.
    Swang on,
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Argentine strings have the most supple feel of all the standard Gypsy strings. They are the only strings with a round core, the hex cores of other brands make them stiffer. See:

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Argentine-Strings

If you want a bit darker sound and an even less string tension than try silk and steels, the Gallis are nice:

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/eco ... rings.html

I wouldn't go any lower than 10 gauge....anything lighter than that would likely kill the volume and tone of the guitar.

Michael