DjangoBooks.com

long scale guitar- number of frets

hi guys

when somebody says that guitar has got long scale do they always mean certain fixed number of frets? Are there 14 fret guitars that are considered short scale guitars? I am new to the subject and my probably naive way of thinking is that everything depends on how wide are spaces between frets . Unless spaces between frets are always the same. I don't know. Please, help me to understand the whole concept. I know that long scale length refers to size like 670 mm but wonder if there are guitars considered long scale guitars but with varying number of frets- 12, 13, 14. Please, write comments

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    The scale length referes to the distance of the vibrating string - in the case of most gyspy guitars from the zero fret to the bridge. The number of frets is not dependent on the scale length but the 12th fret is important as it marks the octave point above the open string. The longer the scale length the greater the distance between each fret compared to a short scale.

If you look on the inetrnet you will find a calculation which tells you where each fret should be according to the required scale length.

When people talk about 12 and 14 frets they are usually referrring to the fret where the neck joins the body. The scale length doesnt necessarily dictate where a neck is joined but it seems that shorter scale lengths are usually joined at the 12th.

There are short scale guitars which have a 14th fret join - this makes access to the higher frets easiser.

I hope that helps,

Alan
    always learning
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Oh and the number of frets is not dictated by the scale length but rather by how long the fingerboard is - if you look at Selmer Macaferri D holes you can see where they've added extra frets on the extension at the end of the fingerboard over the soundhole.

Alan
    always learning
  • seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
    "Long Scale" means that the vibrating length of the strings is 670 mm or longer (I believe Busatos and Favinos typically have a 675 mm scale length). 99% of the time, this is pretty much the same as saying "14 fret" (the neck meets the body at the 14th fret). I'm not an expert by any means, but I've never heard of a long scale 12 fret guitar.

"Short Scale" means that the vibrating length of the strings is 640 mm. Usually, the necks of these guitars join the body at the 12th fret. From time to time, you will see 14 fret short scale guitars. Michael recently had one on this site by Shelley Park. I know AJL makes them, too.

And then there is the occasional oddball guitar like the gypsy mystery two guitar that Michael has for sale; that guitar's neck joins the body at the 13.5 fret.
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    thanks guys!

this probably means that as long as the distance from the bridge to a neck is 670 mm we are talking about long scale guitar no matter how many frets there are.

The same applies to a distance of ( as long as I remember) 640 mm which corresponds to small scale length guitar no matter how many frets there are.
  • Dr. BullDr. Bull New
    seeirwin wrote:
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I've never heard of a long scale 12 fret guitar.

Hi,

Wrt a 12 fret long scale: http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/eco ... -1996.html

Best,
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    My guitar (Shelley Park's 250th) is slightly shorter than a long scale, to fit my smaller hands, at 660mm.
  • frankbfrankb ✭✭
    hello,

I've got old cut away, 12 frets , round hole , probablely Martella guitar,.the scale is 660.The sound is great and easy to play (string tension ?)...