DjangoBooks.com

Buyin a Cigano from Djagobooks, Should I buy the full setup?

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a Cigano GJ10 from Djangobooks. I'm deciding on which setup options I should buy.

The 75 dollar custom bridge.

or

The 150 dollar "package deal" that includes a custom bridge, leather in tailpiece, and set up.

or

The 200 dollar "set up special" that includes all of the above plus a fret level.

If I get a custom bridge made, will I still get the original bridge that came with the guitar?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi,

Generally most people end up doing these things eventually so it's nice to nip it in the bud. Out of the box the Ciganos are OK for general playing, but if you want to get them setup well enough for professional playing it's usually a good idea to at least get the bridge swapped out. If you want to get it to play nicely with lower action than the fret level and setup will help a lot. Otherwise, if you take the action down the guitar will buzz a lot because of uneven frets and neck relief.

You can also just order it as is and see if it suits you out of the box. Some people are OK with it as is, but that's more often the case with rhythm players or beginners who aren't trying to execute some of the harder passages.

'm
  • aminfidelaminfidel houston, txNew
    i've bought a total of 6 Ciganos(5 GJ15's, 1 GJ10), mostly for gifts, and think they are a great value. right out of the box they play great.
    like Michael says i am an aspiring rhythm player. these ARE "student" models.
    however, the most recent purchase (GJ15) was a birthday present for a professional, and he opened it up, tuned it up, and played it on stage right away. perfect!
    i'm not crazy about my GJ10, but some of my friends like it.
    the GJ15 is a bazooka, or cannon.
    when i asked Michael about his opinion of it before i bought my first one, he said he thought the reason for the strong sound was the slightly arched top, and i agree, and i've talked to a lot of people who thought it was also the reason.
    whatever way you buy it i think you will like it. it's not a Dell'Arte, or even a Gitane, but it only costs $393 delivered to your door ready to play!
    dave
  • UltraspontaneUltraspontane ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Michael I have a few more specific questions.

First off, I am at least going to buy the custom bridge option. Will Josh set up the custom bridge high enough without me paying for a gypsy set-up? And will I also get to keep the original bridge that came with the Cigano?

My second question is what exactly entails a "gypsy set up"? If I pay Josh to make a custom bridge, the only other aspect of the basic set up is adjusting neck relief, right? Or are there other variables involved?

Thank you.
    If you just buy the bridge Josh will make one that is generally the right size....if you also pay for the setup he will spend the time adjust the neck relief and bridge high for optimum playability and sound.

'm
    Thanks Michael.

But what of the original bridge that comes with the guitar? That ships with the guitar and the new bridge, correct?
    I'm sure Josh could throw it in the case if you want it....
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't know how much those setup changes improve it but I doubt they would make as big a difference as enlarging the soundhole as I did. To me this is essential and made it something I feel like playing a lot more. Here is how:

Cigano GJ 10 with enlarged soundhole

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7613

I still would like to here what one of our experts think of this after they give it a try.

Dave
  • The first thing I do whenever I get a new guitar is take it directly to my guitar tech and have him set it up. So yes, I'd pay a little extra for a nice set-up. A well set-up cheapie guitar is so much nicer to play than a high-end in need of one.

But I'm a gear snob with a luthier for a brother, so ya gotta keep that in mind when deciding.
  • John GJohn G New
    If you aren't comfortable doing a little work yourself, then pay for the setup. My GJ-15 came with a bridge way too high to play well. I happened to have another bridge handy that works but I have yet to get the time and inclination to cut down the stock bridge. They aren't half bad, by the way.
    Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. Guitar is important to me, so I think I will go with the full setup.

I do find it odd that it is not standard procedure to ship the original bridge along with the new one. We are paying for it, after all...