DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

OUVJordan NancyWeidn maximillian cadillacbass MartinG

For Sale: Chris Flory's Epiphone BLACKSTONE

Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
edited October 2010 in Classifieds Posts: 614
Hi All,

Sorry, I got the model confused, it's a Blackstone, not a Zenith.
My friend and legendary NY swing guitarist Chris Flory, sideman to such greats as Benny Goodman, Scott Hamilton, Ruby Braff, Harry Allen, is selling an old road guitar of his, an early 1950's Epiphone Blackstone, with a retro fitted DeArmond floating pick-up. He bought the guitar from Duke Robillard (they go way back to the jump blues and swing scenes of New England in the early 1970's). He wants $1500. for it. It's a great guitar and comes with guitar royalty provenance! Contact me via PM or email if you're interested.

Thanks!

Ted

PS: For your enjoyment, here are some vids of Chris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wap0OTSv40M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stnqVetLszc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefMf5wu4Xg

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Those old pre-Gibson New York Epiphones are great guitars, IMHO as good as, if not better than, the Gibsons of the era that command higher prices because of their name. It's kind of a shame that Gibson retained the Epiphone name after Gibson's parent CMI bought the company in the 50s; they devalued it when they used it for their secondary brand name, production of which was later moved to Asia. The worst thing was reusing names like Emperor and Broadway for Asian-built electric archtops.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    You got that right, Ben!

Also, I forgot to mention that the Zenith is a student model, price reflects that. It's a great guitar to play on a gig and not be worried about and with a DeArmond, it's solid. Chris is selling because he got his old ES 150 (seen in some of the vids I posted) up and running and is using that again. Duke was going to buy it back, but the recession has hit some people hard and I heard he is selling more guitars than buying these days. So, it's a great axe for sure. FYI: I'm traveling this weekend so I won't be able to get photos for those people who are interested. Thanks for your interest, and in Chris' words for "supporting the art(ist)s" :lol:

All the best,

Ted
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Yes, those "student" models make very decent gigging guitars. I've got an Epi Blackstone which is in the same league (also a '46 Triumph, which is my big band guitar). Those old DeArmond floating pickups are really cool, too, got that great single coil sound, not unlike a Stimer.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles