DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz clarinet

gotgenesgotgenes Blacksburg, VA, USANew
edited September 2010 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 21
I love hearing clarinet in the context of gypsy jazz! Roots is probably my favorite album by Trio Rosenberg, to a large extent because of the beautiful dynamic that Bernard Berkhout adds with his impeccable clarinet playing, and the interplay between Berkhout and Stochelo. Carl Cafagna played some electrifying clarinet on the Hot Club of Detroit's premier album. (I was sad when he turned to the saxophone for their sophomore effort, which is still excellent.) This July I had the pleasure of seeing Sinti Rhythm and really enjoyed the live fireworks by Andy Moore. I have some of Django's recordings featuring one or several clarinetists, too, which are among my favorites.

Do you have any recommendations for more recordings to listen to and players to follow, particularly contemporary artists and bands who play in the gypsy jazz or similar style? If so, post them here and show some enthusiastic Gypsy Jazz clarinet love!

Also, there's no separate area for "Gypsy Jazz Clarinet" (How sad!), so I posted this question in this forum; my apologies if it's not the most appropriate one, but I made my best guess.

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    "Hondarrabia" with Lollo Meier on guitar and Andre Donni on clarinet is my absolute favorite. The whole CD features guitar and clarinet as the featured instruments. I am positive Michael carries this, and I can't recommend it enough. The Hot Club of Philadelphia uses clarinet on four of their 11 tracks: "Song d'Automne", "Exactly Like You", "Nuages", and "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams". You can get it from their website. It is a lovely CD, with a nice mix of vocals and instrumentals.

I'll post more as I think of them, but don't neglect the WW-II version of the Hot Club, which has the great Hubert Rostaing standing in on clarinet in place of the missing Stephane Grapelli. There's a fair amount recorded by that incarnation of the QHCF, and it is all worth listening to.

To be fair to GJ, I don't think their is anything unique about GJ clarinet over regular swing clarinet. While GJ guitar requries a special left and right hand techniques that varies from mainstream jazz picking styles and chord voicings, clarinet can really be played per usual.

You are most welcome hear! I, for one, just love the QHCF during the Rostaing era. I do think there must be sites devoted to jazz clarinet, and I'll bet there's somebody there devoted to Rostaing and the use of clarinet in Hot Club music. And maybe Michael will add a clarinet forum, but you may have to act as monitor for bringing the idea up. 8)
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Check out the Gonzalo Bergara Quartet, from Los Angeles. Both of their albums feature Rob Hardt on clarinet -- he's fantastic! They've got stuff on YouTube, too.

Adrian
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    gotgenes wrote:
    Also, there's no separate area for "Gypsy Jazz Clarinet" (How sad!)

Also sadly, there is not a clarinet section at Django in June, although accordion and mandolin are featured. Having some clarinet players there would be incredibly cool. As much as I love GJ guitar, it's nice to have a variety of sounds at the Djams.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • lacrossehotclublacrossehotclub La Crosse WI✭✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    I don't think their is anything unique about GJ clarinet over regular swing clarinet.

IMHO, Nobody swings quite like Benny Goodman on clarinet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDGH2ZEm ... 1&index=39
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I treasure every cut by Koen de Cauter that I can find.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    For a modern use, you might want to check out what John Jorgenson does on his Franco American Swing album. I believe that he played once with Benny Goodman, when he was a child! Frightening to think that he plays guitar and clarinet that well.