DjangoBooks.com

Original Di Mauro Heart Shape hole w/ crocodile leather case

Hello,

I would love get more information about a guitar i have.
The guitar was in the same family the 50's. All on it is original. it's missing the inlay on the third case.

If you have more info about this guitar i would appreciate it.

Joscho Stephan is playing the same one here.

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Hi Dominik--

The guitar Joscho is playing is mine. It dates from the late-40's/early 50's. Jacques Mazzoleni at gypsyguitars.com, from whom I purchased it, thinks it is from the early 50's. I have to tell you, I never thought I'd see another one exactly like it, but yours is vitually identical: SB tuners, 19-fret fingerboard, birdseye maple back and sides with a large "bombe", same tailpiece, and the name branded in the headstock. The picture may be misleading, but mine says "J di Mauro", while the first initial seems to be missing from yours. These were made by Antoine's brother Joseph, uncle to Antoine's son Joseph, so don't get them confused. Joseph (the elder) was not part of the di Mauro factory. He built his guitars himself in a small shop. The design seems to have been his own. I have played another one as well, which didn't have the original hardware. The only things that seems not to be original on yours are the bridge and moustaches. these guitars did not have moustaches when built, so that was an add-on. I'm virtually certain my bridge is original. It is an unusual shape, not like a Dupont bridge. I'll try to get a picture of it for you to look at. What you have that I don't is that cool case! Is it original? If so, it may be the only Joseph di Mauro case left on earth. I don't know of another one.

I think these are great guitars and a real bargain in the vintage world. Joscho had his choice of a number of guitars and picked that one to play his concert on. One other thing, and I am sure someone will jump all over this, but I read on the liner notes (I think) of one of Tchan Tchou Vidal's CD's that he supposedly recorded th "La Gitane" sessions on one of these guitars. That's what got me to seek one out, and I am so glad I did. I'd love to hear yours sometime to compare notes.

You might try contacting Jacques to see if he has more information. And let me know if you ever decide to let it go. 8)

I would add that yours and mine are the only ones I have seen with the shorter fingerboard. I have seen pictures of several more, and all have longer fingerboards (21-22 frets, if i remember correctly).

Michael
    DoubleWhisky
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • DominikDominik ✭✭✭
    Thanks,

I agree the bridge doesn't look original to me but I don't recall anybody changing it and it's already to late to ask the grandfather who got it... :-((

Do you think it can be a bridge from the 60's or 70's?

And yes the head only carries "Di Mauro". No "j" on it so it should be Antoine's work.

I love this guitar the sound is so rich and warm !!!! It's always a charm to play with it !!!!

I don't know yet if I would let it go. I want no idea how much a guitar like this cost.

Dom.

I included a picture of the inside.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Dom--

That is defnitely a Joseph di Mauro, not an Antoine. Most of them have no brand at all on the headstock. In fact, yours and mine are the only two I have seen. the lettering looks the same on yours as mine, so maybe they added the "J" to the brand later.

I would estimate that your guitar would sell for at least $2,500-3000 euros, maybe a little more. There are a couple for sale in the low 2's, but yours has the case and the better tailpiece and tuners that mine has.

I'll send you better pictures of mine, but give me a few days. In the meantime here are four taken by Jacques Mazzoleni from his time with this guitar. You'll be amazed at how close they are.
    I'm guessing you are in Europe. If so, too bad. It would be fun to get these two guitars together and record them.

It's hard to say how old the bridge is. Maybe someone else on the forum could identify better than I can.
  • DominikDominik ✭✭✭
    Nice !

I just noticed something. Your guitar has a different construction at the base of the neck (see photo)
    Is that something you seen before?

I'll make you a video soon !

I'm not in Europe, I'm actually in the U.S, in Los Angeles.
    Yes, mine does have that little hitch where the neck joins the body. I think it was an anomaly ( a mis measured neck?), but it sure doesn't affect the sound. Good eye, though!

My wife's from LA originally, so we'll be out there sometime. Maybe we can get them together somehow. That would be pretty cool, I think.
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Michael:

Are these the same di Mauros as Baro Ferret's heart shaped guitar? I believe it was used on the classic swing/waltz record by Baro and, if I'm not mistaken, the guitar is currently owned by David Reinhardt.

ps. How cool is it that Dominik showed up with his guitar?

This is such a great forum.

cheers

Wayne N.
  • DominikDominik ✭✭✭
    Yes, same as Baro Ferret's. (see picture below)
  • DominikDominik ✭✭✭
    New Pictures !

You can tell a stimer was use on this guitar. A restauration was done to fill the whole from the old style stime (screwed directly to the guitar.
  • Wolfi59Wolfi59 GermanyNew
    Hi Dominik and Michael,

nice thread :D And you´re not alone :wink: I own a similar guitar since some years, see photos. I live in germany and got the Di Mauro from a german gypsy. It´s a PHANTASTIC guitar. Not as loud as other gypsy guitars, but the sound is wonderful. It´s my favorite gypsy guitar.

Btw., there is a virtual Di Mauro museum on the net, made by Dorothée Di Mauro,with a lot of infos and photos. Well worth a look.

http://www.di-mauro.fr

Wolfi
  • Wolfi59Wolfi59 GermanyNew
    ... in addition to my last mail I add a short Sound-Clip of my Di Mauro. Hope you like it :)

Wolfi