DjangoBooks.com

When I was a boy!

Petes77Petes77 New
edited May 2011 in FAQ Posts: 5
Heey,

Does anyone know wherer I can get a hold off tabs to "When I was a boy" by Biel Ballester Trio?

/ Pete

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Great song. I'm a big Biel Ballester fan. I don't have a tab, but the head isn't hard to figure out by ear. We played it a bunch last winter, attached is the chord chart we used. BTW, the little numbers the upper right corner are fret numbers, so the first chord, for instance, is Em on the 7th fret, not Em7.

If you figure out what Biel is doing on the intro, let me know. I approximate it, but it's not the same.

Craig
  • Petes77Petes77 New
    Thanks Craig!

I'll give it a go and if I figure out the intro I'll post it to you :)
    Do you have the tabs to "You'd be so nice to come home to"?

/ Pete
    No, sorry.

Craig
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Craig, did you create the chart? If so, what program did you use to create it? It looks a lot like the charts on gadjodrom and I've always wondered what program he uses. As for the beginning of When I was a Boy, I believe he puts his index finger on the seventh fret of the A string (E note) and the ring finger on the 9th fret of the D string (B note). He then starts the lick by hitting the open low E string, followed by the second note(s) in the lick which are the notes in the fingering position listed above. The third note(s) are the index finger still on the seventh fret of the A string (E note) and the second finger on the 8th note of the D string (Bb). The rest of the lick can be picked out from there. Just don't change you hand position. I think when you hear this you'll see what I mean. Not exactly sure if this is the way he does it, but it seems to work.

(Kind of a confusing explanation. Let me know if you can figure out what I'm saying...)

AE
    AE,

The chart is done with Excel. I made a template with a grill on one worksheet and "parts" on another. The "parts" are things like split measures, special characters for chord symbols, etc. I load the template, type in the chords, copy, cut, paste, delete until you get it like you want it. Once I'd done a few, I found I could make a chart in about 5 minutes if I already know what I want to put in it.

Thanks for the ideas on When I was a boy. I'm at work so I can't try it, but will this weekend.

Craig
    BTW, here's a youtube of BB doing it. Unfortunately, he is turned to the side and you can't see his left hand well, but you can see that for the intro, he is staying pretty much in the box. CB

• major77major77 New
    Hey all!

I'm new to this forum and I've been looking for a tab to When I was a boy for quite some time now.
    I have attached my transcribed version - the chords are taken from the diagram in this thread (so thanks Greg Baumgarner)!

The only things missing are the incredible fast licks which I somehow couldn't figure out:
    If there's anyone here who can I would really appreciate any leads or suggestions as I'd love to complete the tab !!

The rest of the song should be fairly accurate - I tried to stay as close to the Version on the VCB Soundtrack as possible (as I've noticed quite some improv in all the vids on youtube)

Any feedback/suggestions welcome!

cheers
    Andy
  • major77major77 New
    ... apologies for the formatting error :roll:

Here's a fixed version :)
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    If anyone is interested, I have Biel's own chart around here somewhere that he left in my Favino's case after last year's Django in June concert. When I'm feeling a bit better, I'll look for it, scan it, and post it here.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • trimtrim New
    Hello,
    If you get this chart , i will be happy to get it.
    Could you send it to me by mail or post it here?
    Regards, :idea:
    JL