DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Michael,

Are there any other photos available.. such as, backs, sides, closeups of the head and tuners.

Any confirmation on the type of Cypress....and is it ,indeed, laminated.

Any "soundbites" ?

Is it better made than the Sevillano units from Dell Arte ?

Any other details such as nut width and scale. ?

Thanks...

Jeff
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Sorry, this is all the info we have right now.

'm
    Is there a return policy in effect for a "pre ordered" 560 in the event that the guitar does not
    meet the buyers expectation ?

Thanks
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    sure, 48 approval.
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Saga made two prototype nylon string models. One is a trad style Maccaferri copy (Spruce top, Indian Rosewood back & sides, blah blah).

This one is another prototype they made as a Flamenco inspired version of a nylon string Maccaferri, thus the Cyprus back and side wood. I have played both and they were both well done. The Spruce/Rosewood model had a two piece saddle bridge like the originals too so hopefully the production models will too.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
    So,

If... one were to "pre" order one of these guitars...
    would one be getting the flamenco style
    or the real deal with rosewood.. spruce and the split bridge?

I am interested in the rosewood, spruce, split bridge unit.. not so much flemdjango
    edited September 2010 Posts: 303
    I just had to get my 2 cents in.. I called SAGA about the DG-560.

Of course their first , and usual, response was "we are not prepared to deal with the public."
    We got over that hurdle of another ( word deleted) company distancing themselves from the real customer, the guy on the street with the bucks... not the dealer who also would not exist without
    those pesky lowly "end users"...

This is the owners baby, and he is taking care of "his friends"... the guitar is per Lulu's design
    ( note the success of his previous model)
    However, there seems to be a snag with the Port Orford Cedar
    No duh.. it's on Oregon's "do not cut" list and is a bear to get... even with permits, even as downfall. Private sales from private property is the usual method and is spotty at best.

I suggested that the guitar actually be made for the public who really wanted to see the real deal, rosewood and spruce. I was told this was Lulo's choice.. to which I would reply... how did LULO know about Port Orford ? Not a wood common to Europe...
    I suggested to offer the guitar in rosewood and spruce as an "option"...he said he understood.

He confirmed the MSRP at $1695.

I also suggested an upgraded Dg500 , 12 fret. short scale, as the world has seen enough of the small oval models.

I was told that if someone wanted to make money they would not be making Sel/Mac copies, as there is no money in it being a small ,almost insignificant market.. again repeating ,this was
    the bosses project and his baby...

As a disclosure... I worked for 3 high line euro car makers... directly for the factory....as a rep and as a Natl Management Training manager... including writing and giving courses in customer service..
    One of my offices was hidden in Oyster Point south of San Francisco

We had no sign.. we were clandestine... but... we gladly took phone calls and met with customers.
    And that's how we became "stars". Not by keeping ourselves armslength from those who made us possible.
    Surprise !
    I received an e mail from SAGA

NO surprise,
    Cypress and Port Orford cedar. No rosewood, spruce or split bridge.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I look forward to playing a new wood combination.
    The tried and true are tried and true - useful and pleasantly predictable.
    The great guitars all started with new designs though - laminates in our case. It's amazing and wonderful that Saga will experiment and go with a hunch.

I once asked my luthier friend to make a Pt. Orford topped classical for me when I located a suitably wide and tall stump. He wouldn't do it, which was fine. Whether Saga's works or not, they are to be complemented for the effort.

I'll be interested to get a review.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
    Cypress has been used for "flamenco" and classical guitars for years, and successfully.
    Port Orford Cedar (a cypress) has been used for years, and successfully.
    The combination has been used, and is being used particularly by one notable Oregon maker.
    Nothing new here in the use of the materials.

I would venture to say that most folks wanting or waiting for a Sel/Mac "concerte" were expecting Rosewood and spruce. This is not to say that Port Orford and Cypress won't make a fine guitar, just was not what was expected.

I am suggesting only that SAGA offer as an alternative rosewood, spruce and a split bridge.

And while we're at it.. an upgraded Dg500 d hole, 12 fret, short scale