DjangoBooks.com

Consigning 1974 Jacques Favino

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited July 2010 in Classifieds Posts: 1,665
My 1974 Jacques Favino, serial number 369, has been consigned with Djangobooks.

The guitar is in amazing condition for a Favino of this vintage. Most if them are pretty battered. This one has its battle scars but overall is very fine. The back and sides are Indian rosewood, with just the usual finish checking you see in old Favinos and a few dings here and there. The top has four cracks, all stable (Michael Bauer's '64 Favino has sixteen cracks, and it sounds awesome); three have been repaired and the fourth one up by the treble side fretboard is not anything to worry about, according to Rodrigo. The maple neck has been refinished, and there is some overspray on the body. The jumbo frets are not original but have been recently dressed.

The guitar currently has a Dupont Bigtone which sounds very good. The action is low and I've got it shimmed to suit my picking style better. If I were keeping it, I would replace the Bigtone with a regular Dupont bridge and convert the guitar back to acoustic, but that's a personal choice.

Here's a link to Michael Horowitz's original listing, where he fully describes and plays it:
http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ecom-prodshow/jacques-favino-oval-hole-369.html

... and a video of Joscho Stephan playing it at the Django in June Saturday night jam:
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    This is a really good guitar and I think could become a monster with a little love and care by Rodrigo Shopis (I can attest to what he did to improve my vintage guitars.) I know that benny has found his personal soul mate in his Shopis, but this will be someone else's soul mate once it gets some proper attention. I hope it finds a good home.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    edited July 2010 Posts: 1,665
    Thanks, Michael. Wish I could afford to keep it, but my poor depleted bank account says no.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Best of luck with it. If only I had the money :cry:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    Best of luck with it. If only I had the money :cry:
    It's not that much money, really, only $1250 in dog dollars.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    It's being consigned with Michael Horowitz.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • What pray tell are dog dollars. At 1250 of them it seems like a good buy depending upon the exchange rate
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Dog dollars are usually made of bark or rolled newspaper. I think it takes seven dog dollars to equal one U.S.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    I think it takes seven dog dollars to equal one U.S.
    Exactement!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • I was looking online for the exchange rate and to see perchance where I might buy some. The closest I could get was some out of the way country in central Africa. The exchange was way higher than 7 though so either way ... good luck with her