DjangoBooks.com

Construction Question

I'm a casual Gypsy Jazz listener and player, (not nearly as gung-ho as some here,) but I have a question.

I understand the genuine GJ guitars have a pliage in the top, but I also understand this is fairly difficult to accomplish.

If one does not have access to pliage, how is the top formed and fitted?

Oh, and could someone tell me how a forced top is done, and better yet, the Busato Bombe top?

And on the topic of the pliage, what type of iron is used and how is it bent?

Comments

• Some GJ guitars have pliage some do not.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • loumt123loumt123 New
    I understand that, but what I'm asking is how is the solid spruce top fitted to the braces if it does not have a pliage? Is it soaked and bent for the forced top? How is the bombe formed?

Does anyone have pictures or video of this process being done?

Additionally, does anyone have video or picture of a pliage being performed, and the type of iron used?
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    This page / link may get you some info on the topic...

http://www.pluckandsqueeze.com/Mac%20project/Pliage.htm

:idea:
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    I've beeen very happy to know the upcoming JWC models will incorporate the pliage (and a very pronounced one, it seems!)
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    Frater. Who is JWC?
    Pliage is good!

Thanks Jazzdawg for the link to pics of the soundboard refurbishing.

It doesn't seem that the people building modern Selmacs have a consistent methodology. Some force the tops dry over the bracing. Never heard of anyone steaming or soaking the tops, but who knows. Seems a small minority even to the pliage (I hear its risky - you lose some soundboards trying).
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • loumt123loumt123 New
    That link helped clarify a lot.

Now, what would be considered an authentic pliage, as the site points out about 10 different methods to do it all!

" Heat bending by hand, without any scored line to form a gentle arch before gluing.

Heat bending with a jig, as shown by Michael Collins in his book on Selmer guitar construction.

Removing a tiny wedge before joining in a radius dish with go-bars.

Scoring a line and using a ruler and wedge to form a crease, as shown by Benoit de Bretagne.

Scoring a line inside for the bend and heating, to form a crease (pliage) before gluing."

I like the idea of making a score in the top before bending, though it's likely not authentic. Anyone know how heat bending with a jig works?
  • SteveGSteveG ✭✭
    Jeff Moore wrote:
    Who is JWC?

http://www.jwc-guitars.com

More about them on the thread about the demise of the Manouche brand name at:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7386

cheers
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    frater wrote:
    I've beeen very happy to know the upcoming JWC models will incorporate the pliage (and a very pronounced one, it seems!)

It seems like they're going for a drier sound overall, I think unfortunately. My Manouche deflects not more than a few cents overall across the board, which is one of the best things about it; I would think the greater hump of the increased pliage would compromise this. Beyond that they blast like cannons, hold notes beautifully and sound very Gypsy so I'm not sure what more I could expect at this point...I guess we'll have to see.
  • loumt123loumt123 New
    How much will the JWCs cost?

And I was looking through the gallery...I see metal rods in the neck, but no truss rod. Is this normal?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    loumt123 wrote:
    And I was looking through the gallery...I see metal rods in the neck, but no truss rod. Is this normal?
    Check this topic, especially Bob Holo's response:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7468
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles