DjangoBooks.com

Fretting adjacent strings in horizontal patterns

Bill McNeillBill McNeill Seattle, Washington, USANew
edited September 2005 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 70
What is the most efficient way to fret adjacent strings in horizontal patterns?

For example, the 3rd and 4th notes of the A minor arpeggio in Example 6.1 of Gypsy Picking are both held by the first finger on the 7th fret. Should I fret each string one at a time with the fingertip, lifting my finger and moving it, or should I make a barre on the 7th fret?

There are a number of places where this option presents itself, the horizontal arpeggios being the most obvious example, so I'm wondering if there's a general preferred way.

I'm still working on the right-hand technique, so it's not a pressing question for me right now. But someday I'm going to be worrying about the fastest way to play this, so I might as well ask now.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    billmcn wrote:
    What is the most efficient way to fret adjacent strings in horizontal patterns?

For example, the 3rd and 4th notes of the A minor arpeggio in Example 6.1 of Gypsy Picking are both held by the first finger on the 7th fret. Should I fret each string one at a time with the fingertip, lifting my finger and moving it, or should I make a barre on the 7th fret?

You should bar it....that's the fastest way.

Good luck!

'm
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    Ha... I had the same question some time ago. :D

Yes, you should use 2-strings barre for all that intervals. This way is exactly ¨in tradition¨ - as you could see in all videos of modern great guitarists (Rosenbergs, Bireli etc) - they use one finger to fret 2 adjacent strings very frequently - and both in solo and rhythm playing. You'll appreciate the benefits as soon as you get in a habit of doing it.

Good luck!
    Anton