DjangoBooks.com

Maurice Dupont MC-50 D Hole 2006

FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
edited September 2010 in Classifieds Posts: 125
Maurice Dupont MC-50 D Hole 2006

12 Fret, short scale, Indian Rosewood back and sides. A few nicks but nothing that is enough to show in the photos. In great condition including original Dupont case. Great tone and projection.

New they are selling for $4,250, thanks to the dollar/euro exchange.

Save yourself $1,000! Selling for $3,250.

4154077614_d2af6e40e9.jpg
4154078076_710e9c7b38.jpg
4154077904_8a1f9cae3d_b.jpg
4154077770_7c81b9cf1c.jpg
4154078322_a90c37276f.jpg
-fopa

Comments

• FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    Just a reminder that a 12 fret short scale D hole is what Django played for the first 50% or so of his career with the hot club, and none have a more true "Selmer" sound then the Dupont MC50. An MC50 is what Howard Alden played in Woody Allens "Sweet and Lowdown", so if you want to get an idea of what they sound like, just watch the movie. Or if your interested and live in the SF Bay area just contact me to set up an appointment to play it.
    -fopa
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    New price $3000.
    -fopa
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Fopa wrote:
    An MC50 is what Howard Alden played in Woody Allens "Sweet and Lowdown", so if you want to get an idea of what they sound like, just watch the movie.

Here's the Sweet and Lowdown guitar:
    http://galleriedupont.blogspot.com/

It is definitely the guitarthat Sean Penn played in the film. However, I've always wondered whether Howard Alden actually played it on the soundtrack - that sounded more like an acoustic archtop to me. Does anyone know for sure?

I absolutely love that film.It was what got me seriously interested in Django for the first time, after years of casual listening (although the music isn't really gypsy jazz, more like good 30s acoustic jazz).

One big mistake they made was to show Sean Penn's hands while he was playing. He spent months taking lessons, worked very hard at it, and he's clearing playing something. However, he's just as clearly not playing what's on the soundtrack. They always assume no one will notice.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Did Sean Penn not smash it up at the end of the movie?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I would hope that was a prop.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • It was a prop. My buddy knows which luthier built it and he told me but my memory :oops: oh this gettin old sucks sometimes
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    That's good to know (about the prop, not your memory).

Still, it's painful to watch a guitar being smashed, even if it is a prop. It's kind of like the end of "Thelma and Louise," when they drive the '66 T-Bird over the cliff, and all I could think of was, "Oh, no, not the T-Bird!"
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    The guitars made for (and used) in Sweet and Lowdown were Duponts. The D hole that Penn had in his hands (he did not actually play a note) was a Dupont MC-50 that was made with a dark Matte finish so there would be no glare while filming. That guitar was purchased by Paul Mehling who rubbed the finish out to a gloss. That guitar is now owned by my bandmate Jack Fields.

Howard Alden played a Dupont MD-50E for the soundtrack (if it sounds like an archtop it is because Howard does not use Gypsy picking). Howard still owns that guitar.

I'm not sure if the guitar that was destroyed at the end of the film was a prop or was a third Dupont made for Woody Allen. If it was an actual Dupont, That was a crime!

Cheers,

Marc
    www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • MontereyJacquesMontereyJacques ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011 Posts: 81
    The prop guitar that was destroyed was not a Dupont, I believe it was a Michael Dunn.

Well, a Dunn is not a Dupont, but it's a shame if they had to wreck one of those. Too bad there weren't some Arias around at the time.
    Of course, there was also an L-50 used in the film by Penn's rhythm player.
    That guitar wound up being sold on archtop.com a few years back.

Jack, are you still maintaining the Galerie Dupont ?
    Benny

-- Orson Welles