DjangoBooks.com

"Belleville" questions

gotgenesgotgenes Blacksburg, VA, USANew
edited October 2009 in Repertoire Posts: 21
I understand the A section of "Belleville" runs through DMaj-Fdim-Emin7-A7 twice, but what comes next? On some recordings, it seems like it repeats for a third time and holds on DMaj, but on others (e.g., the Vienne Biréli DVD) it sounds like something that descends and then finally ends with a V7-I, but I can't quite figure it out.

That third chord (Emin7) may not be correct, either, or there may be clever substitutions I'm not aware of. See the attached pic of Hono Winterstein playing the third chord of this progression from the Vienne DVD, for example. I'm not sure what to call it.

Also, the basic melody for the song is a nearly chromatic descent from 10 (D) down to 5 (A) on the E string--dipping to 4 (Ab) before coming up to the 5 (A), but what's the chordal form of this melody line that Biréli plays? Django also plays a chordal form on the recorded version I have from the compilation album Classic Early Recordings Vol. 2--I'm unsure what year it was recorded but it features a clarinet playing the melody.

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    gotgenes wrote:
    I understand the A section of "Belleville" runs through DMaj-Fdim-Emin7-A7 twice, but what comes next? On some recordings, it seems like it repeats for a third time and holds on DMaj, but on others (e.g., the Vienne Biréli DVD) it sounds like something that descends and then finally ends with a V7-I, but I can't quite figure it out.

Haven't checked the Vienne disc, but some people play Belleville as a Rhythm Changes tune, which could give you this in the A section (bars 5 through 8 ):

D D7 |G Gm |D A7 |D A7 |

you can make it more dramatic by putting the descent in the bass:

D D7/C G/B Gm/Bb D/A A7/G D/F# A7

hope that helps,
    Jack.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    The chord Hono's Playing looks like an Em triad, G B E G.
    --3---
    --5---
    --4---
    --5---
    --x---
    --x---

The first 4 chords can be D 6/9 Bm7 Em7 A7 but there are many variations you can try... for the last two chords: Gm/Bb A7 or Bb7 A7 work on Belleville

This chord is often used to "harmonize" the melody :
    D9
    --10---
    --10---
    ---9---
    --10---
    ---9---
    -------
  • gotgenesgotgenes Blacksburg, VA, USANew
    Belated thanks for the informative, helpful answers, guys. :)