DjangoBooks.com

The thumb

ShivaSageShivaSage New
edited November 2009 in Technique Posts: 11
I have a question about using the thumb to fret a bass note. Should I be trying to use somewhere near the tip of the thumb to fret the note? When I do it, it seems more natural to use an area closer to the side of the thumb...near the first joint, or even beyond the first joint. So, for example, sometimes the tip of the thumb will be floating above the string while the string is fretted further back along the thumb. (I wish I could provide a picture.)

I should mention that I am not very good at this technique yet, so I am probably doing it wrong. I have pretty small hands, and this makes it very difficult for me to figure it out, especially chords where I also have to double stop with the second finger (for example, a minor 6th chord with the root on the E string, like at the end of Improvisation #1...it is the only part of the tune that I cannot get).

Comments

• B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    That Bm6/9 chord is difficult if playing all six strings with small to even almost medium hands. Whatever position you thumb is in to achieve clarity of chord tones (non-buzzing) whould be good! The flatted 3rd in that chord puts more stress on the hand. Ability to fret that chord cleanly does improve over time, however.
    Rocky
  • Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
    ShivaSage wrote:
    When I do it, it seems more natural to use an area closer to the side of the thumb...near the first joint, or even beyond the first joint. So, for example, sometimes the tip of the thumb will be floating above the string while the string is fretted further back along the thumb.

Yes, that´s the way to do it. You can´t use the tip of the thumb like you use the other fingertips. And it takes a whole while for your hand to get used to the stretch, so be patient with it and don´t force it too much. I attached a picture of my hand, notice how the hand is also tilt at a 45 degree angle.
  • SamuelSamuel New
    ShivaSage wrote:
    When I do it, it seems more natural to use an area closer to the side of the thumb...near the first joint, or even beyond the first joint. So, for example, sometimes the tip of the thumb will be floating above the string while the string is fretted further back along the thumb.

Yes, that´s the way to do it. You can´t use the tip of the thumb like you use the other fingertips. And it takes a whole while for your hand to get used to the stretch, so be patient with it and don´t force it too much. I attached a picture of my hand, notice how the hand is also tilt at a 45 degree angle.

That chord as a F is the real pain in the ass...I can never get it cleanly with the thumb
  • personally I gave up on using my thumb. Maybe because I was trained as a classical guitarist, but I never got used to it. Believe me I tried. It's just very difficult for me and I don't have small hands.

What I have decided to do is to simply forgo another note somwhere in the chord and do without.
    Marco Conti
  • That's a smart idea ... not everyone has a hand shape that works with thumbing on a chord.

Long slender digits with a narrower neck .... pas de problem .... shorter thick fingers needing a wider neck .... one can get into repetitive strain territory trying to use the thumb well.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed