DjangoBooks.com

Lowest action without buzzing

bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
Hi!

I'm curious how low action without buzzing can you have on your guitar if the frets are perfectly leveled? This is of course a function of a player and the strings. The reason I'm asking is because I just bought a new guitar (Gallato RS 1939) and the bridge seems a bit too low (2.5mm on low E and 2.4mm on high E). The low E and A strings are buzzing but the higher string side (G, B and E) is playing very clearly. I'm just wondering could I get rid of the buzzing by taking my guitar to a professional luthier who would do a fret leveling and maybe some truss rod adjustments.

The strings I'm using currently are Argentine 11s.

-Tomi

Comments

is it the Gallato D hole erable or small oval ?
    Did you buy on ebay ?
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    The measurements would indicate a likely need for a shim on the bass side of the bridge. The truss rod adjustment would be for if the neck is curved the wrong. Can a string sound a note plucked on the nut end when pressing at fret 12? Fret leveling is more for particular ones that aren't the right height, not all of them.
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    asd123321 wrote:
    The measurements would indicate a likely need for a shim on the bass side of the bridge. The truss rod adjustment would be for if the neck is curved the wrong. Can a string sound a note plucked on the nut end when pressing at fret 12? Fret leveling is more for particular ones that aren't the right height, not all of them.

If you put a shim only on the bass side of the bridge wouldn't you have to do somekind of fitting to the bridge again so that the whole bottom touches the top of the guitar? I checked the truss rod and the neck seems to be curved ok.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    to find the lowest action on your guitar for your playing, the best thing would be to start with a bridge that's too low (the one you have now) and then shim up until buzz stops, that will work fine for a while but eventually you might want to get a custom bridge made to that height 'cause shims can be dangerous to tone and sometimes the guitar's structural integrity.