DjangoBooks.com

G string dies quickly

I have recently bought my first gypsy guitar, which I am quite happy with. except for one thing. The "wounding/winding" of the G string (the thinnest of the wounded strings) quickly get damaged when I play. It just takes a few hours before the wounding is broken at one of the frets around the fifth fret. and after a little more time, the winding is broken at several frets.

I use the Argentines 11 strings and the guitar is short scale (640mm).

Is this normal (It does not happen with my old acoustic archtop)? Or am I doing something wrong? Do I play too hard? press to hard with my left hand? Or is this a problem with the frets? Are they too sharp? If so, can I fix this somehow?

/Andreas

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    You're not doing anything wrong. This is relatively normal - welcome to the world of gypsy strings. For a number of reasons - materials used, style of playing - this happens more, much more, than with normal acoustic strings.

I would recommend buying a bunch of spare G strings otherwise - like me - you end up changing a whole set when only the G string really needs changing.

And, sometimes, you'll find that each batch of strings varies in quality and durability.

Cheers
    Alan
    always learning
  • Frank WekenmannFrank Wekenmann Germany✭✭✭✭
    Hi Andreas,

maybe you should check how hard you press on the strings with your left hand. I had a very telling experience when I handed my guitar with relatively old strings with no dents (I have a light touch) to a friend with a heavy touch and after five minutes the strings were toast...

Regards, Frank
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if somebody offered a set of gypsy strings which included an extra G?
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    djadam wrote:
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if somebody offered a set of gypsy strings which included an extra G?
    Dell arte John Jorgenson signature do

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/it ... _jorg.html
  • Caravan GSECaravan GSE Madison, WINew
    I definitely have trouble with my G string as well. :D

In all seriousness the G strings on Argie 10s are the the same way. There are 10 packs of single strings here:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ca ... ingle.html

Hope this helps

C
    Chris Ruppenthal
    Caravan Gypsy Swing Ensemble
    www.gypsyswing.com
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    One thing I've noticed is that it happens more on some guitars, not sure why.
    I used to have that problem on a Gitane, 3rd strings would last only a few days, but when I finally upgraded to a Dupont it stopped happening, the high e and b go before the g which lasts for about 3-4 weeks.
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    The G string with the Cigano was shot at the frets in 2 days so I got a Ernie Ball 20 on there which lasted 6 weeks. It is easier to play and doesn't have the bass thump of the original.
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    This is happening to me for the first time on my dell arte hommage. I wonder if it is a fret thing? Also I just started using loop end argies.

What else would it be?
  • andreasandreas SwedenNew
    Thanks for all replies! I now know this is fairly common. I did already order a 10-pack of G-strings :) and, in combination with trying to play with a slightly lighter touch, this will be my solution for now.

But, as was mentioned in an earlier post, I still suspect that it might be the frets that is part of the problem. They might be too rough on the surface, or the wrong shape, or too high perhaps? I wonder if a good luthier would be able to at least improve it.

/Andreas
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    I've had this problem a lot more with loop ends than ball ends.

I used to use ball ends & had no problems with the G string, then when i got my Dupont, i thought, yay. i can go for that old school look & get loop ends, which i did, & then this unravelling thing started to happen on the G-string. I went back to using ball ends after about 10-15 sets with the same problem, and they've been fine since.

So can't help solve it, but just buy ball-ends, & the problem goes away by itself!!!

(hopefully, it did for me)