DjangoBooks.com

Rodrigo Shopis D-hole Favino

I had the opportunity to play Rodrigo Shopis' new guitar which he custom built for a collector/dealer in Brooklyn (Musurgia.com) It is gorgeous, loud and has a great gypsy tone. Big growling bass and fantastic projection in the high end. I own an oval version of the same model and was really impressed with this new instrument. I know he brought it to Django in June so I'm sure other players got to hear it as well. Good work, Rodrigo.
charlie

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that guitar was probably the best I played at the festival, just great all around.
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    I also had the opportunity to play Rodrigo's latest D-hole guitar and was similarly impressed. Great tone, volume and responsiveness.
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    Yeah, I played the Shopis too, and really liked it. The neck felt great. Any ideas as to neck width? I'd guess less than 1-3/4" (my Gitane's neck) at the head nut... maybe 1-5/8".
  • jmaszlejmaszle New
    I love his guitars.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I tried this before twice, but lost my internet connection both times while I was typing...so...

I absolutely loved this guitar! It was deafeningly loud, even as a brand new guitar...well, actually pre-brand new, since it wasn't even completed yet. I can't imagine what it will be like in six months after being played in.

More important to me than volume is the tone, and I think Rodrigo nailed the classic Jacques Favino sound as well or better than anyone. Play it near the bridge, and it does a pretty close impression of Tchan Tchou's "La Gitane" sound (which was probably a Joseph di Mauro [the elder]). I found it to have a versatile array of tones and a huge sound.

Lastly, it had a wonderful neck: perfect intonation higher up, and it "played like butter", as Michael H. often says. Talking with Rodrigo, I learned that he really thinks about things like how thick a neck should be for maximum sound and comfort, and it showed.

I missed out playing Denis Chang's new AJL (not sure how that happened...), but it seemed like the only other new guitar I heard that rivalled Rodrigo's for sound (although it was very different). In fact, I thought it rivalled the Busato and Reiner's Favino for sound and playability.

There are alot of guys out there making GJ guitars these days, but Rodrigo and Bob Holo are making guitars as good as anybody's best right now. And at $3400, you get a VRB quality instrument at used MD-50 prices.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • LittlewingLittlewing Luxembourg, Saarlouis Rodrigo Shopis D hole, Castelluccia Old School, Dupont Md 60
    Hi,

I would like to address my deepest thanks to the authors of the present thread and other threads about Rodrigo Shopis Guitars

I think it is mainly your benefit that I got seriously interested in having a closer look at an ad of someone selling a Rodrigo Shopis D Hole supposed to having been used by Samson Schmitt to record the Alicia Cd.

In Europe, I never had the chance to try or even see a Rodrigo Shopis Guitar before.

The seller was not even willing to post photos showing the condition of the guitar.

So, thanks to your really positive comments regarding this guitar, I forced myself to take a day off an to do a couple of hours of road to see this guitar.

The first impression was quite good as the neck and the playability are similar as on my Dupont Md 60 and the tone was really good but without blowing me away.

It happened that the seller contributed himself to the recording of the Samson Schmitt’s Alicia Cd so that there were no real doubts about the guitar having been used on this Cd, which of course is not an argument to buy a guitar, but however a nice to have.

So I was convinced that it was a good deal and decided to buy.

Arrived at home, I immediately gave the guitar a clean-up and changed the strings (that seemed not having been replaced for years) which dramatically changed the situation.

I now understand what you mean by incredible tonal range and a never before heard volume.
    The presence of bass is really astonishing.
    As the guitar has not been played for years some practice might even have a supplementary positive influence on the sound.

The most shocking moment was the direct comparison with my Dupont Md 60, which I thought being a somewhat powerful guitar.
    The only thing I can say is that anything you play using the lower stings, like rhythm, the Dupont is inexistent compared to the Rodrigo Shopis.

The wood used and the craftsmanship of every part of the guitar are perfect too.

The guitar has a Schatten mic installed which also is much more convincing to me than the Dupont Bigtone. Simply plugged into an Aer Compact it sounds perfect for rhythm and solo.

And it also feels good and inspiring to play on an instrument which has kind of a history, as it has been part of the Schmitt Family for some time and as it had been selected by Samson to record the Alicia Cd.

I know on what guitar I’ll play during the next years.

So for me the conclusion is :

If you can get your hands on a Rodrigo Shopis guitar just go ahead.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Yep, Americans make good guitars too... ;)
    - JG
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear he finishes his guitars that way. Ives owned some amazing sel/macs but the finishes seemed way too thick, like the guitar was just dipped in the stuff
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Rodrigo is building me a new one as well. Superficially it will look somewhat like Ted's but it is Selmer sized with 14 frets to the body. Small Favino-style D hole, pick guard, redwood top, back and sides of Honduran rosewood, and of course Rodrigo's wonderful hand rubbed varnish.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • noahfuturenoahfuture ✭✭✭
    Not sure if anyone on this thread will see this, but I have a Shopis D Hole that is absolutely incredible. I believe it was the one mentioned above from the Musurgia (also called Retrofret) in Brooklyn. It's been my main recording guitar for years and the only guitar on my first album.

I am very sad to say that it may be on the selling block soon as I just finished a new record and am moving... heart breaking, but if anyone has been looking for a shopis, look no further!!! I'm going to post a proper classified in soon. PM me if anyone is interested.
    here's a ridiculous video of me fake playing it
    One writes music because winter is eternal and if one didn't, the wolves and the blizzards would be at one's throat all the sooner.
    -David Mitchell