DjangoBooks.com

anyone else fond of the D'Andrea Pro Plec?

http://www.bigcitystrings.com/proplec.htm

I am into the rounded triangle one currently.

At 1.5 I know this is much thinner than many GJ'ers use, but it is pretty stiff stuff, and 'feels' heavier then other 1.5 picks I have tried before.

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I like Pro Plecs but I wear them out fairly quick. There are a lot of picks I've used for a song or two and thought were just fantastic but then they start to wear rough and by the fourth song they're dragging and scraping on the strings. My favorite picks in the world - hands down - are well made coconut picks... but I can thrash one in two songs. I've literally gone to play and lined up half a dozen freshly polished coconut picks on a table and then just worked my way through the pile - switching as soon as they start to wear. But then again, I play rhythm so I'm tough on picks because by definition I'm pretty much "sanding" them on the strings more than really picking a string. But hey - whatever works for you. Bireli was using those sharp little red Dunlop JazzIII picks for a while and he was still great. Try a Wegen BigCity 1.8 along side of that ProPlec and see what you think - they play very similarly for me except that the Wegen just doesn't wear noticeably for me. I lose them long before I wear them out.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • beavertoofbeavertoof nashville, tnNew
    wow! wear them out?!? I cannot even imagine that... I don't think I have ever so much as made the slightest scratch into mine and I play pretty hard... you must really be whacking away with them!

The triangle ones I use are a good deal for that though as you get 3 corners per pick.

I also have some of those 1.5 dunlop delrin 500's that Bireli uses sometimes, but to me they feel much less substantial than the PrePlec, and sound real 'clicky'.

The 2.0 500's don't have the clicky problem, but sound kinda dullish to me... I do have a couple of Wegans, the 7mm and a 2.0 mandolin round thing... I hope to try the GJ one of these days, but for now pretty happy with the ProPlec.